Getting back into it

Options
I need an opinion. I want to start exercising 4 days a week and want to know what is most effective when it comes to weight loss. Should I do all cardio or should I do a mix of cardio and weight machines?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Your calorie balance will dictate weight loss.

You need to have a check on how many calories you consume against how many you expend.

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. Cal deficit
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

You need all three of these to see good results. You can lose with out working out, but you might as well be building what's underneath while you're loosing what's on top.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You need to do Weight training then do some cardio. The more muscle you can put on the more calories you will burn and doing cardio will give you a bigger calorie deficit over your day or allow you to eat a little more.
  • sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    1. Cal deficit
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

You need all three of these to see good results. You can lose with out working out, but you might as well be building what's underneath while you're loosing what's on top.

I've already lost about 20 pounds just by watching what I eat. I just need to lose 20 more but I'm feeling like I'm about to either slow down or plateau. I just need to know what I need to do to keep from slowing down and avoid plateau for the moment.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1. Cal deficit
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

I've already lost about 20 pounds just by watching what I eat. I just need to lose 20 more but I'm feeling like I'm about to either slow down or plateau. I just need to know what I need to do to keep from slowing down and avoid plateau for the moment.

If you're new to exercising, there will likely be a stall as you retain water to repair your muscles. It is temporary (at most a few weeks) and will subside. Cardio is great for heart health and overall fitness. and lifting (preferably with free weights) will help you retain as much muscle mass as possible (contrary to what's posted above, you'll gain little if any muscle while in a deficit).
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    just remember...exercise increases your calorie deficit!! that's a plus.. but for ME, it also increases how hungry I am. So to emphasize what everyone else says, it's all about tracking what you eat. Perfect storm? You work out and eat healthy.
  • sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    1. Cal deficit
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

If you're new to exercising, there will likely be a stall as you retain water to repair your muscles. It is temporary (at most a few weeks) and will subside. Cardio is great for heart health and overall fitness. and lifting (preferably with free weights) will help you retain as much muscle mass as possible (contrary to what's posted above, you'll gain little if any muscle while in a deficit).

I'm not too new to exercising. I just need to get started again after stopping it for about 3 months. I preferably don't want to gain any weight though :/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    1. Cal deficit
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

I'm not too new to exercising. I just need to get started again after stopping it for about 3 months. I preferably don't want to gain any weight though :/

Any weight you gain from exercising in a calorie deficit isn't fat, it's just water weight needed for muscle repair. And you won't keep gaining & gaining. You may see a couple of pounds jump on the scale when you start a new exercise program. Don't freak out about it: Your fat loss from the calorie deficit will soon outpace it, and you won't even know it was there.

Being strong and fit has benefits for weight loss and health that are much more important than that minor blip on the scale.