Eating the same foods?

Options
Do you think it's good, bad, or neutral to eat the same foods everyday?

Monotony doesn't bother me and I quite enjoy eating the same foods day in and day out. I started to wonder if that would be good, bad, or neutral to do so if it's within my planned calorie allotment

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a good balance of macros, it's fine. I pretty much eat the same foods for lunch/snacks during the work week (breakfast and dinner vary).

You do you :)

~Lyssa
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Neutral as far as calorie intake. Variety helps broaden your intake of vitamins and minerals. A multivitamin can rarely do harm (tho many argue it doesn't always do good either).
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to alternate my breakfast everyday, but for lunch I always have the same thing for the week. Then the next week I make something different. I get bored of the same food.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's good, bad, or neutral to eat the same foods everyday?

Monotony doesn't bother me and I quite enjoy eating the same foods day in and day out. I started to wonder if that would be good, bad, or neutral to do so if it's within my planned calorie allotment

That's entirely up to personal preference.

Are you meeting your macro allotment (and not just calories) with this diet? If it's deficient in, say, protein, eating the same thing all the time with exacerbate the issue.
  • darrenwr2
    darrenwr2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you, I have the same breakfast and only about 2 or 3 different lunches. For the evening meal I mix things up a bit.

As others say, as long as you have a good balance and it doesn't bore you then continue.

The whole point of healthy eating / diet / losing weight is we are different and as long as it works for you and remains healthy then it's a great choice!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Variety (and monotony) is in the eye of the beholder. If you aren't bored, it's good enough for you. If what you are doing simplifies eating, you'll be more likely to stick to it. I like to eat similar meals from day to day and from week to week; lots of poeple would most likely find my diet boring - to me, it's simple but tasty and delicious.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same foods.
    I focus on fiber at breakfast and protein for lunch and dinner.
    Carbs for snacks.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If you're fine with it, that's really all that matters
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Where I live, the culture among my grandparents generation was to cook certain different foods for different days of the week. So I still expect to live a similar life but without the rigid daily pattern they had.

My wife grew up in a different environment where there was a lot less variety. They cooked the same foods every day, but perhaps served in different ways.

I don't think it matters much in the end, so long as we get the required nutrition the body needs.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    So long as the foods contain all the necessary nutrients (which you don't already take as suplements) like all vitamins, amino acids, minerals, fibre, essential oils like omega 3, 6, 9 etc. then it is fine.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's kind of what paleo people do when they meal prep... at least the pictures they post showing 2 weeks of the same meals.

I think I read somewhere most people rotate the same few recipes over and over. Taco Tuesday is for real!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of what I eat, but I typically eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch M-F. Every few months I will switch it up, but it's easy to keep it the same for meal prep too. Dinners are way more flexible.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every day during the week - it makes planning and prep easuer/quicker. I make sure to include a large variety of foods throughout the day to get a range of nutrients.

What I don't think is healthy is eating the same meal multiple times a day, for days on end(like eating chicken, broccoli and rice 5 times a day.)
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist urged me not to do meal prep that consisted of the same things all week so I would get a broader range of micronutrients. However, my blood work has all come back fine, so YMMV?
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @tiffanifair - I did the same as you and lost over 30+ lbs in less than a year. Some folk on my FL had an issue with it (the monotony) but I was happy that I maintained a healthy diet and it clearly worked. Do what works for you. :D
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks breakfast and he has three different meals that he rotates during the week. It is the only think that he knows how to cook and is willing to do, so it is fine with me. One less meal prep to worry about.

I cook lunch and dinner and I am always doing something different. I don't care for cooking so preparing and eating the same thing all the time would be boring for me and not a good mix of calories, macros and nutrients. If I have left overs, I will save them for a second day and I will dress them up differently to add more variety to my meals

Just do what is best for you and periodically run reports in MFP to see how you are doing with your nutrients and goals. Maybe just mix things up during the weekend when you may have more time to cook and eat different things.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist urged me not to do meal prep that consisted of the same things all week so I would get a broader range of micronutrients. However, my blood work has all come back fine, so YMMV?

I think with careful/creative planning this wouldn't be a problem - I make sure to have different sources of protein with each meal, different coloured/types of vegies and fruit both raw and cooked, different fat sources etc
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My meals are often very low in variety. I have 350 grams of vegetables with my dinner and I figure if I include 100 grams of carrots and 100 grams of broccoli I've got most stuff covered. I put flax and chia in my homemade bread. I add chia to my homemade pizza. I put hemp, chia, and berries in my yogurt. I mix my whey protein with kefir. Occasionally I'll switch vegetables. Right now I'm working through a head of cabbage 100 grams at a time. Next time I replace that I'm thinking of getting bok choy.