Making Eating Habits Routine when your Work is Not

Options
wackymrsb
wackymrsb Posts: 9 Member
How do I go about making my eating on a predictable and therefore easy-to-stick-to routine when I flip flop between first and second shift? I have a hard time because I will sometimes work second shift and then turn around and work first shift. Not having a routine really messes me up with my eating. I cannot change jobs or make my work schedule only one shift. It really makes it hard for me to have any routine. I know it's not an excuse to overeat, etc, it just makes it quite difficult when my hunger and schedule is all out of whack. What is a good way to make this work? Thanks!

Sarah

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Can you think about food/meals related to when you wake up as apposed to typical meal times. For example: eat a 500 calorie meal when I get up. Eat 500 calories 5 hours later. Eat 500 calories 5 hours after that.

Also, can you give a little more detail about what you mean. What times are 1st and 2nd shift? Is this like day and night shift or closer than that?
  • wackymrsb
    wackymrsb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. 1st shift is 7-3 and 2nd shift is 3 -11. It messes with my sleep and makes exercising kind of tricky. I sweat like a pig so I have to make time for a shower, time to dry hair, etc. So sometimes I'm eating dinner very late, other times at 5 or 6 in the evening. Is that bad for weight loss or is it more a matter of eating the appropriate amount of calories in a given 24 hour period?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    It is more a matter of eating the appropriate amount of calories in a given 24 hour period. But even with those two shifts, your life is not much different to mine. I work 7:30 to 4:30 but I wake up around 5:30 in the morning and hardly ever get back to bed before midnight again.

You'd have a harder time if your work had a 11:00pm to 7:00am shift as well.