Options
13»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    missnaynay wrote: »
    Hi all I know I shouldn't weigh everyday but I do anyway, for those that also weigh everyday do you see a small loss everyday or does it all come off at the end of the week? Thank you

I don't know who came up with a rule that you shouldn't weigh everyday.

To explain where it came from, this is the note on the right hand side of the check in screen where you would enter your weight.

"Check In

To help track your progress, you should record your weight periodically. We suggest once a week because your weight fluctuates daily due to uncontrollable factors like water. Try to always weigh yourself at the same time of day - we suggest early in the morning before breakfast."

Seems another spot where the MFP web site and forum opinion diverge.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Weight loss isn't Linear some days I gain weight, and other days I lose it, and other days my weight stays the same.

Since I'm not counting calories I do weigh myself everyday to determine what the impact of the previous days food was. Whenever I have a sodium laden day my weight increases. This I've realized I have to keep control of sodium levels.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    missnaynay wrote: »
    Hi all I know I shouldn't weigh everyday but I do anyway, for those that also weigh everyday do you see a small loss everyday or does it all come off at the end of the week? Thank you

End of the week? Why would that happen LOL??!!

I weigh every day. Some days it goes up, some days it goes down. But it goes down more often. :) Usually it's a small swing up or down, but I have seen a pound or more, while trying to lose. When not trying to lose, I have seen as much as a 3 pound drop or gain, in one day.

You will always have daily fluctuations. That's normal.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily as well. I have only been on the weight loss train for 12 days so I don't know how helpful this is. But in those 12 days I've lost 6.5 lbs. some days I lost, some days I actually gained and some days I stayed the exact same. So like most people here it zig zags but the overall trend is down.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and have for years. I bought the PC version of Fitday because over the years, our internet was spotty. I have all my favorites entered in folders, and it not only gives me a weekly average, but also it projects my future weight.
    I just recently discovered Libra and now I have two to play with. I also like the Hackers Diet free spreadsheets.
    But I am a math geek. I tutored Financial Calculus at a Community College for 15 years along with running the math computer lab. B)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just started weighing daily and using Libra. More curious about what my trends will be.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here. Started this diet Dec 26th. Yesterday was my lowest weight so far, but it took 25 days to get to this new low. Then lower today. So you pay a price by watching daily if you can't handle seeing long periods like this, which happens the closer you get to your goal. But I love the data.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I usually have my lowest weight on Sundays, then I can go up 1-2 pounds during the week. Then all of a sudden I usually drop again but I know what to expect so I try not to worry about it. As long as my highest weight of the week is lower than last week's highest I know it's working.

^^^^ This is what happens to me too except it's Sat am when the drop comes. Get 4-6 day stable weight and then down a lb or 2! Couldn't stand not knowing. I am away from home since Weds and am dying to get home tomorrow to see where I am Monday morning. Need data input!
  • BalletMom22
    BalletMom22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to weigh myself everyday. I find it makes me much less anxious because there isn't a build up to getting weighed. It also allows me to understand fluctuations.
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily for 3 months. My weight fluctuated up and down, but steadily went down. If I had a lot of sodium, I saw that on the scale the next day. I stopped weighing daily once the process stopped being educational for me. After 4 months, I feel like I know when it is going to say something I like and when it isn't. I weigh once every two weeks now.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mine can fluctuate by 3 pounds either way (more during that time of the month). It's so gradual if I didn't chart it I would think I wasn't losing weight. Normally the fluctuations are within a pound unless I have extra salt the night before or if my exercise was unusually vigorous the day before. I look at my weight loss on a weekly or monthly comparison to avoid getting discouraged.

It helps to know that it's not only impossible to lose a pound of fat in 24 hours, but it's highly improbable you can gain a pound of fat since it takes a whole 3500 calories.