Serving size

Options
janet95060
janet95060 Posts: 3 Member
I'm new here and added a few recipes to my foods. Is there a way I can quantify the "servings" so I know what my recipe serving size is instead of just the number of servings. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The easiest way is to weigh your finished recipe and then enter that weight as the number of servings. For example, the cooked recipe is 918 grams so you'd have the recipe with 918 servings. That way, you can weigh out however much you want and enter that weight as the number of servings each time you get some.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The easiest way is to weigh your finished recipe and then enter that weight as the number of servings. For example, the cooked recipe is 918 grams so you'd have the recipe with 918 servings. That way, you can weigh out however much you want and enter that weight as the number of servings each time you get some.

Ah...I never thought of this! Much better than how I do it now, thanks!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If a recipe is consistent, then I'd log it as a recipe, weigh each amount put into it, get the total calories for the whole batch. When you save the recipe it asks you how many servings it makes, so you can tell it '4 servings' and it will divide all the information accordingly. Somewhere in there you can note how many grams of the final recipe are in a serving--in the title if you have to. I haven't done this in a long time.

For recipes where the quantities of ingredients may change, for example if you have a recipe for chicken soup and the size of the chicken is going to vary a few ounces from time to time as you buy different packages of chicken, then you may be better off recording it as a 'meal' so that when you call it up to use next time, it is easy to edit the quantities of each ingredient. I do this for my tuna salad sandwiches because the amount of onion, celery, etc. isn't consistent each time I make it.
  • janet95060
    Options
    I can do that. Thank you. Seems to me, however, that there should be a way the app can accept and display serving size. Oh well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    janet95060 wrote: »
    I can do that. Thank you. Seems to me, however, that there should be a way the app can accept and display serving size. Oh well.

It wouldn't be possible for the app to tell you what serving size is appropriate for your goals. You have to tell the app. For example, my husband, me and my daughter all have different serving sizes for the exact same dish.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    janet95060 wrote: »

I weigh the total weight of the finished recipe, decide how many servings I want it to be, calculate what the weight of an individual serving would be, and (here's the part that might solve your problem) put the serving size in the name of the recipe. E.g. name of recipe = chicken tortilla soup (srvg = 284 g).
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Not having dedicated fields for Total Weight, Weight Per Serving, and Calories per Serving has been a shortcoming with both the newish Recipe Builder and the Old Recipe Calculator for many years.

Until MFP updates the Recipe feature, I use the following format in the Recipe Name text field to name my recipes. For me, this makes it much easier to see the information in the Recipe list and in my daily Food Diary when I log it.

Recipe Name Format:

Recipe - [Keywords] [Date] [Total_Weight] [Number_of_Servings] [Weight_per_Serving] [Calories_per_Serving]

Examples:

Recipe - Jambalaya, Chicken Chorizo Mussels 2015.10.03 4140g 18Srv 230g 169Cals

Recipe - Pudding, Triple Chocolate 2015.06.26 520g 4Srv 130g 108Cals

Recipe - Vegetables, Mixed, Coconut Curry 2015.06.21 972g 12Srv 81g 68Cals
  • janet95060
    Options
    That's a good idea. Thank you