Views on PASTA

Options
Coming from an Italian/Maltese Family...pasta has always been a part of my diet. Since the new year I've scrapped white carbs completely and opted for whole grain/wheat substitutes. I've also tried spiralising courgettes for a lighter alternative occasionally. I eat whole grain pasta maybe once or twice a week now and looking for creative recipes and ideas! ALSO, what time of day does everyone prefer their "carb" dishes? I try to make mine for lunch and dinner if I'm eating early.

Shout out to all my Maltesers

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    If I want pasta I eat pasta within my calories. If I want pasta I eat pasta at the time of day I want that pasta.

Carbs don't matter. White carbs don't matter. Meal timing doesn't matter. Calories matter.

THIS. Of course now I want a plate of pasta with marinara sauce.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Pastaaahhhhh! Yum. I tried whole wheat thing but it's not for me or my family. I only eat one serving size now (2ounces) and no more. At one time, before I started counting calories, I thought I was eating one serving but it turned out I was eating at least two or more servings.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my carbs at night (in all colours)....I rarely eat pasta though as I personally think it's a waste of calories that I could be "spending" on dessert. If I did eat it, it would be regular pasta - not a huge fan of whole meal pasta!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my carbs at night (in all colours)....I rarely eat pasta though as I personally think it's a waste of calories that I could be "spending" on dessert. If I did eat it, it would be regular pasta - not a huge fan of whole meal pasta!

I would eat anything and skip the dessert instead.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the whole wheat pasta and neither does my family. So now it's just control the portions and fit it into my calories...I'm not going to stop eating it all together, I just won't have it every day.

Also - my husband and I went to Malta this past summer. Totally sucks about the Azure Window but I'm thankful we got to see it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Pastaaahhhhh! Yum. I tried whole wheat thing but it's not for me or my family. I only eat one serving size now (2ounces) and no more. At one time, before I started counting calories, I thought I was eating one serving but it turned out I was eating at least two or more servings.

Pasta was one of those things I was blissfully ignorant of, a bowl of pasta? 2 maybe 3 servings? When I actually weighed it out dry then cooked it, It barely filled my bowl/plate. So my 2-3 servings estimate was more likely at least 4.

Needless to say I don't eat it very often. If it's part of a casserole/soup I'll eat it, but no more comforting big bowls of spaghetti.
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    gamommy wrote: »
    I don't care for the whole wheat pasta and neither does my family. So now it's just control the portions and fit it into my calories...I'm not going to stop eating it all together, I just won't have it every day.

Also - my husband and I went to Malta this past summer. Totally sucks about the Azure Window but I'm thankful we got to see it.

Such a shame about the Azure Window I agree, so glad you got to see it! One of natures beautiful creations!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Pasta is one of those foods that make me sad because 1 serving just isn't satisfying and it's pretty calorie dense. It's also not as good without garlic bread. Luckily I've never been one to get excited about pasta (potatoes are my starch of choice) so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having it very often. When I do, I do my best to fit it into my calories and make sure I eat a lot of veggies with it to fill me up.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My husband and I spent one of our first vacations on Malta many years ago, when we still lived in Europe. Loved the island, especially the warm-toned buildings!

Got used to whole grain pasta a long time ago, and as said above was also shocked recently how many calories per relatively tiny serving. When I do have it, I try to keep the pasta portion small, and the meatless tomato sauce loaded with veggies portion big.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and ate it while I was losing weight, and still eat it now while I'm maintaining. I probably have pasta 3-4x a week for dinner. I have carbs all day, I just make sure to get a lot of fiber.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If I want pasta I eat pasta within my calories. If I want pasta I eat pasta at the time of day I want that pasta.

Carbs don't matter. White carbs don't matter. Meal timing doesn't matter. Calories matter.

Yes this. If I want it I fit it into my calories and nutrients. I would be sad without it
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I switched to Fiber Gourmet pasta. Right around 1/2 the calories and lots more fiber and a bit more protein. I really like it. The texture is not exactly like regular, but it's close, and it tastes more like regular pasta than the wheat pastas I've tried. My favorite is their Elbow pasta. I love it. I introduced it to one of my good friends and that's what she uses now as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options

This!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love pasta. I am half Italian and it is a huge staple in my diet.. I have it 2-3x per week at least. I can't do the whole grain.. I get my fibre elsewhere. I eat carbs all day especially at night and right before bed. It has not affected my progress one bit, in fact it has probably made me more successful... B)

My fave is in homemade tomato & basil sauce, bolognese, all'Amatriciana, rapini & sausage, pesto, aglio e olio, tuna and white wine, seafood sauces... ahhh the pastabilities are endless :p
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I love pasta, and I've found that recalibrating what I considered a serving allows me to enjoy it pretty often.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    I switched to Fiber Gourmet pasta. Right around 1/2 the calories and lots more fiber and a bit more protein. I really like it. The texture is not exactly like regular, but it's close, and it tastes more like regular pasta than the wheat pastas I've tried. My favorite is their Elbow pasta. I love it. I introduced it to one of my good friends and that's what she uses now as well.

Thanks for the tip here. I never thought to look for lower calorie pasta. I tried the wheat a long time ago and when I realized it was higher in calories and not nearly as good I just switched back. I'll have to try this. That said, I love pasta too. Have it at least once a Week. More if my hubby's not home for dinner. It's not his favorite and he prefers meat Sauce and I'm happy with marinara. Yum

• VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I buy the reduced calorie pasta that Kroger makes their own brand of. It has only 150 calories per 2 oz. serving versus the regular at 210. I can't tell a difference in taste and it is minimally more expensive.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta. I sometimes have it more as a side to chicken or fish rather than the main dish.
    I've started making my own pasta and my family loves it.
    I don't have a set time of day for carbs but mostly have pasta at dinner because that is the meal I cook.