Does Barre Fitness Count as Weight Training?

I currently take 2-3 barre classes a week. It's a lot of body weight exercises or very low weight (3-5 lbs) with a ton of repotions. Do you think that this is enough to keep me from losing a lot of muscle or do I need to incorporate much heavier weights? I weigh roughly 175 lbs. and generally lose 1.5-2 lbs per week

Replies

• bearclanfit
    bearclanfit Posts: 15 Member
    First of all, good for you because Barre classes kick my butt. I would think you'd want to find a calories-burned estimate from an online calculator and enter the duration as an exercise you create on mfp. You'd enter it as a cardio exercise to do this. This is what I do with HIIT workouts and P90x workouts.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    If you want to retain muscle mass, you should probably incorporate additional resistance training. The high reps with such low weights are probably providing you with more cardio than resistance training. If you could add some heavier weight lifting, you will probably be more successful in retaining muscle. If possible, try to do both (add 1-2 days of heavy weights along with your current 2-3 barre classes). Congratulations on your trajectory on the loss!
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks