How long should you wait to work out when having a stomach bug?

Options
I got up this morning ready to go for a run, so I tried to eat my usual pre-run oatmeal and couldn't stomach it. Come to find out I have a stomach but with vomiting and, well, you know "all of the above" symptoms. All I've been doing is drinking Powerade zero and resting. How long should I wait before returning to my usual running (typically a 20-23 minute jog with a 10-15 minute cool down walk) and returning to my normal eating schedule? I'm asking because last time I had a stomach bug like this I felt better and tried to get back to normal and got sick again the next day. Thanks for you answers!

Replies

• emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    emjam99 wrote: »
    I got up this morning ready to go for a run, so I tried to eat my usual pre-run oatmeal and couldn't stomach it. Come to find out I have a stomach but with vomiting and, well, you know "all of the above" symptoms. All I've been doing is drinking Powerade zero and resting. How long should I wait before returning to my usual running (typically a 20-23 minute jog with a 10-15 minute cool down walk) and returning to my normal eating schedule? I'm asking because last time I had a stomach bug like this I felt better and tried to get back to normal and got sick again the next day. Thanks for you answers!
    ***Sorry this sounds confusing I'm not trying to work out today by any means lol how many days should I wait before eating and working out like normal? Thank you!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a couple of days past when you can eat, and fully digest, your normal quantities and varieties food again, just so you have adequate nutrition to start back.

You may find you can go for a short walk when you can keep food inside you again.

Cheers, h.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I had the flu March 6-12 (finished Tamiflu on the 12 and my symptoms were gone). I am still extremely fatigued and have not been able to go back to my normal workout schedule. Working towards it but by bit. But honestly, to push myself could lead to injury. And I'm definitely not getting much out of the workouts. Except for perfecting "heap-on-the-floor pose" in yoga last week. :neutral:
  • Harrison_girl18
    Harrison_girl18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ease back into it. Once your mobile again and can actually eat some kind of food and keep it down then go for a walk.Not a jog! Just a walk and do that untilll you feel like yourself again and just ease in from there and test how you feel as you go.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a couple weeks, but for other stuff, just what the above posters said.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    As an emetophobe, I'm gonna go ahead and RUN from this thread... :p