Diabetic, high cholesterol and high blood pressure

Options
I've had high blood pressure for about 6 years now. But I was just diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol. Anyone else out there who is on a strict diet who wants to share some tips and or recipes?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Lose weight if you're overweight.
    Get more exercise (walking is fine, especially to start).
    If you're not addressing those things, you're majoring in the minors.

If you've got weight and exercise under control you can think about things like:
    More soluble fiber (e.g., oatmeal, barley, apples with skins, okra, eggplant) for the cholesterol.
    More potassium, magnesium, and calcium for your blood pressure.
    Get more omega-3s (e.g., flaxseed, fish, grass-feed beef, eggs from free-range or supplemented chickens) for cholesterol (and it may help with insulin resistance -- I'm assuming since you were just diagnosed it's Type II).
    Follow the advice of your doctor and/or registered dietician regarding carb consumption.
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease and am pre-diabetic. I've been advised to go on a HFLC diet. I'm following The Keto diet. Studies have shown that it is the most effective diet to reduce fat (visceral (organ) fat, which is a major issue for me). It is not an easy diet to start but I've heard it gets super easy once your past the first two weeks.
    Always discuss diet plans with your doctor.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Does the doctor want to trial diet for the high cholesterol? I was told to change my diet along with the meds. Low fat/nonfat dairy, poultry, fish, but no shellfish. Also cut back on butter. I'm in the early stages and so I talked to my mom, it's genetic, and her favorite butter replacement is the spray stuff. I also have been working on lowering sodium for kidney stones and borderline blood pressure. But the good thing is that MFP helps track both. (The blood pressure is genetic too. I'm hoping to avoid the diabetes that runs in the family too.)

I'm not overweight, but I'm working on getting back to the middle of a healthy BMI so I'm not sitting right on the edge.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book DrBernstein's Diabetes Solution is a great place to start. Cutting carbs will improve blood glucose right away, often helps with high cho,Estrella and tends to lowerbloodpressure. Notin allbutin man you if not most.

• debbiehambrick
    debbiehambrick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing pretty good so far, 15 lbs lost. My doctor put me on a 1000-1200 calorie, no more than 80 mg carbs and no cheese/white flour/white rice/potato diet. I have started exercising which has never been my thing. Feeling pretty proud of myself! My blood pressure is good and my blood sugar is getting much better.
  • SueMangiaracina
    SueMangiaracina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie, keep up the good work!

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started on Metformin 2 weeks ago. There is so much conflicting information about food that I didn't know what to do.

I found Dr Fuhrman's book about the Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes called The End of Diabetes. He is a physician who specializes in nutrition, has read numerous nutrition studies, and has treated thousands of patients successfully. He is the only one I will take nutrition advice from. He calls his way of eating the nutritarian diet. Lots of nutrients with low calories. The exact opposite of the standard American diet which has lots of calories with low nutrients. There are lots of recipes in the back of the book plus you can Google nutritarian recipes.

I've never been a vegetable and salad person so eating healthier is a struggle. I am determined to get my blood sugars under control no matter what it takes. So far I'm feeling better and have lost a few pounds. I don't know how it has effected my blood sugar because I'm still waiting for my new blood glucose meter to show up in the mail.
  • lundy2626
    lundy2626 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Research Ketogenic diet!