Graveyard Shift

Options
Hey guys! What kind of things do you eat when working night/very early shifts?

Mine starts at 4am, I get up at 2am. Can't eat at this time though. Put about 1 stone on in weight, mainly fat. And it has to go ... Thank you!

Replies

• charlisajade
    charlisajade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work overnight and I gained weight when I first started...I work from 8:30 pm to 7:00 am 7 on/7off. I lost weight by eating my first meal around 8 pm, that's my "breakfast" I made sure it was protein heavy so I wouldnt get hungry in a while, then I would eat a snack around 11pm and another meAL around 2 am, then a small snack around 6 am. Then if I'm hungry when I get off, I eat a light meal.
  • michael_m1989
    michael_m1989 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I gained so much weight when I began grave yard and I had to lose it, so I started following a schedule for the days when I work and it seems to work well for me. I work from 10:30 pm to 8:30 am. I usually don't eat while I am working. My days usually go like so, I pack something to eat for breakfast and I eat around 7 am. I get off at 8:30 am, I sleep from 9 am to about 2 or 3 pm. I get up and eat lunch at that time. I then eat dinner around 7:30 or 8 pm. Then I'll usually have a snack before I go to work, so 9:30ish. Then I don't eat again until 7 am when I have my breakfast, If I get hungry at all during the night I will have a protein shake. This along with calorie counting has helped me lose the weight I gained.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Same thing I eat when I'm on day shifts.
    Carbs, fats, and proteins. Just in the appropriate caloric intake.
  • GenericOreos
    GenericOreos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, fellow night shifter here also since 07, 2130-0600...nowadays I don't eat at night except water/tea. I consider my breakfast to be my post-workout meal and I try to eat every 2-3 hours from there. Sometimes I bunch my meals together in the interest of time. I'm usually awake when I get home to watch the kids/take kids to school so I'll take a pre workout, then head straight to the lifting session for 1.5hrs or so @ 0845 (I take Scivation BCAA during the workout). After that I'll have my breakfast (around 10a or so), then next meal before noontime. I'll usually get a chance to nap but have to wake up at 1p to get the kids. When I get home I'll eat meals 3-5, then nap from 6p-8p, at which time I'll eat my last meal upon waking before heading to work. Been at the Stronglifts 5x5/Starting Strength since end of Feb but taking a break to try Cory Gregory's Squat Everyday program...so far not so concerned about weight loss as I am making gains. Finally eating like I'm supposed to for these types of heavy lifting programs. Caloric intake is between 2400-2900cals/day, 200-250g P, 120-160g C and 130-150g F as prescribed in the Squat Everyday program.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I keep a night schedule on my off days too, it kills my social life but is so much easier on my body. I do a variation of intermittent fasting, I don't eat anything until 9 pm- except coffee.Then I stop eating by 8 am (unless I am stuck at work late).
    So to OP don't eat when you first wake up if that disagrees with you. Eat your first meal when you can ( I'm assuming you can take at least 1 break). Then continue to eat as you normally would within your calories. Good luck, shift work is only a barrier if you let it be. We tend to overeat or make poor choices when tired, so the best plan is to get enough sleep.
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do 7p-7a and usually eat my first meal around 5pm and will take something work to eat. High fat, low carb-usually meat and cheese with broccoli. Sometimes it's 11 when I eat and sometimes it's as late as 2 or 3am. That usually does it for me. I'm keto so I'm not usually hungry but I always keep almonds and a protein/powdered pb mix in my bag if I do get hungry closer to morning/bedtime.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    On weekends I work 4-12:30 and then midnight-8:30. Before this schedule began I got in the habit of not eating before work (most other days are 6-2:30), so I eat breakfast on Saturday during my lunch break between 8 and 9. And I still eat the same foods as the other days.