cholesterol question

Options
Kacy
Kacy Posts: 43 Member
Can anyone tell me which (some) foods that have "good" cholesterol in them and some that have "bad" cholesterol in them. I am supposed to be changing my eating habits based on my good cholesterol being too low as well as other things. The doctor said to stay away from simple starches, but I dont' know what foods are considered simple starches. I don't know what I'm supposed to be eating. Also does anyone know anything about triglycerides that can explaine it to me in simple terms? I am new to this paying attention to what I eat. I just need it explained in simple terms to me so I'm not overwhelmed.

Replies

• Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which (some) foods that have "good" cholesterol in them and some that have "bad" cholesterol in them. I am supposed to be changing my eating habits based on my good cholesterol being too low as well as other things. The doctor said to stay away from simple starches, but I dont' know what foods are considered simple starches. I don't know what I'm supposed to be eating. Also does anyone know anything about triglycerides that can explaine it to me in simple terms? I am new to this paying attention to what I eat. I just need it explained in simple terms to me so I'm not overwhelmed.
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't jknow much about cholesterol, but I found this in wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol

Cholesterol is found in animal fats: all food containing animal fats contains cholesterol; food not containing animal fats either contains no cholesterol or negligible amounts. Major dietary sources of cholesterol include egg yolks, beef, poultry, and shrimp.

you can also check out this website they have information and recipes posted.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/index.htm

http://nhlbisupport.com/chd1/why2.htm#eat
    What you eat. Two main nutrients in the foods you eat make your LDL ("bad") cholesterol level go up: saturated fat, a type of fat found mostly in foods that come from animals; and cholesterol, which comes only from animal products. Saturated fat raises your LDL-cholesterol level more than anything else in the diet. Eating too much saturated fat and cholesterol is the main reason for high levels of cholesterol and a high rate of heart attacks in the United States. Reducing the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol you eat is a very important step in reducing your blood cholesterol levels.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Trans fats are artificially-made saturated fats that lower HDL cholesterol and increase triglycerides, and those you want to avoid.

Cholesterol can raise both your HDL and LDL levels, but only if you have a condition in which you can't properly absorb it, or you combine your saturated fats with high-GI carbohydrates. If you're a normal individual without any pre-existing conditions and you avoid simple sugars, it's not going to do much. Natural saturated fats aid in hormone function and should comprise 1/3 of your total fat calories. They are found in egg yolk and animal products in differing amounts.

(HDL is good cholesterol, and LDL is 'bad' cholesterol. Both of these combined should be under 200, and you should have more HDL than LDL. Your doctor can test this for you.)