Why can't I do this?!

Options
I've been on MFP for a while now. I log my food, I work out like crazy, I drink my water. My weight is going NO WHERE! This week, I gained a pound!

I always eat back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories so I eat enough to fuel my body. I do tend to not log on the weekend, but I make good choices and try to get exercise in.

What am I doing wrong? I'm wondering if I may have a thyroid issue. Does anyone have experience with this?

My diary is public. Fire away.

Thanks!

Replies

• mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    A thyroid check can be done with a simple blood test! I would have your thyroid checked and start logging on the weekends. Don't forget to change up your exercise routine.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    Maybe try making simple changes like green tea instead of coffee. Or black coffee instead of cream/sugar would be a good start.
    Every little bit helps.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should log on for a weekend. It's very easy to underestimate your intake. Weekends can undo all the hard work you put in during the week.

As far as thyroid levels go, are you experiencing any symptoms other than not losing weight? It's not a bad idea to get your levels checked. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid when I was 7. But my parents saw many signs that something was not right with me. They didn't take me to an endocrinologist just because I was a little chubby.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a while now. I log my food, I work out like crazy, I drink my water. My weight is going NO WHERE! This week, I gained a pound!

I always eat back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories so I eat enough to fuel my body. I do tend to not log on the weekend, but I make good choices and try to get exercise in.

What am I doing wrong? I'm wondering if I may have a thyroid issue. Does anyone have experience with this?

My diary is public. Fire away.

Thanks!

If you're only going to follow the plan 70% of the time (5 days a week) then you're going to have less than stellar results.

I'd suggest trying a few weeks of following the plan 100% of the time and seeing if that improves your results. You can't say the program isn't working when you aren't actually following it, right?
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've got thyroid issues, and the symptoms can be different for different people. Most, though, have stories of being tired - falling asleep (or almost falling asleep) when driving. Not being able to keep eyes open during meetings. Two other really common symptoms can be vertigo and feeling cold when others don't. If you have any of these symptoms, definitely go to your doctor. Other than that, remember I'd recommend taking your measurements and tracking them. It could be that your fat is converting to muscle, which is leaner, and measurements are where you'll see the results.
  • efrein
    efrein Posts: 2
    Options
    Happy Friday, we all have road blocks and speed bumps it moving them and keeping on that makes us stronger and leaner ;)

From Are you fitter then a Senior, " Winners never quit and quitters never win" If you have not seen that show don't worry I found it while looking on Demand.

Its really hard to say why?

Your eating within your calories.
    Do you eat any meat or fish as I was not seeing a lot of that in your diary and it is important to have lean protein.

Do you drink soda even diet? ( I think that is a huge factor I do not drink it my friend who does has the hardest time loosing weight)

Are you working out hard enough 60 -90 minutes a day 5-6 days a week if over 29? I know when I am not working out hard and not eating clean and lean I will not loose.
    If my diet is high in sodium I will gain that week.

Have you tried switching your coffee for green tea in the morning? You will need advil for the first week trust me on that if you have a Tevana in your mall go there find a tea you love! I can recommend many if you like they even have some that are as strong as coffee but you may still need advil coffee withdrawal is real. Little head aches nothing too bad.

I would say going to the Doctor if you feel something is wrong is always a good thing. Have you had your yearly physical? This is important so you know what your Blood pressure, cholesterol which will then give you an idea on what foods to avoid and what to eat more of to get a healthy balance.

I know you can do this never say can't!

Efrein
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I always eat back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories so I eat enough to fuel my body.

Really?

The last 4 days alone you had net calories of.
    600 cals
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have to echo thumper's response - you say you eat about 1/2 your exercise calories back but I only saw a couple days where you really did that - mostly you barely touch them.

I also agree that you need to try logging on the weekends - it's the only way to truly utilize this program. You may be eating more than you realize or forgetting about things like drinks. I don't usually come online during the weekend but I do jot down what I'm eating (and drinking if applicable) on the notepad on my cellphone. Then I log everything on Monday to see how I did. Most of the time it's pretty good but there are times when a BBQ party or having some friends over for dinner and drinks throws things out of proportion.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do this! :smile:

I think a really important question is WHY you don't log on the weekends?

If you are making healthy choices and exercising why aren't you keeping track? Please think about your answer carefully before you write it. It could be the key.