Am I losing weight too fast? Newbie here.

Options
Hi guys, I am wondering if it is okay to have lost 7 pounds in only four days. I am eating properly and I am exercising but it has never happened so fast! Any advice would be appreciated. I have only a half of a thyroid. Maybe that's why? Newbie question indeed.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That is well. Carry on.

You may have simply experienced newbie water loss from eating properly.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It's more than likely water weight, nothing to be worried about.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it is OK, it is not unusual to show good progress early in your goal, the closer you get to your ideal weight the harder it becomes, like the last 5-10 lbs. If you feel something is off check with your MD to get peace of my mind.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the other posters. It's normal to drop a lot in the first couple of weeks. Mostly it's water weight. Then things should settle down.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    when you first start dieting your body will lose a lot of water weight. this is totally normal, and it should slow down as you go into your second week.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am wondering if it is okay to have lost 7 pounds in only four days. I am eating properly and I am exercising but it has never happened so fast! Any advice would be appreciated. I have only a half of a thyroid. Maybe that's why? Newbie question indeed.

Thanks in advance!

This weight loss is in your first 4 days? If so, that is normal water weight loss, but it will slow down.

How much are you trying to lose, and at what rate per week?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    If you keep losing at that rate, slow down (eat more) - avoid losing more than about 1% of your body weight per week (as a rule of thumb), and less if you're within 25-50 pounds of goal. (:Less than that is always fine, if it makes the process more do-able.)

But I agree with others: You're probably just seeing an initial water weight drop. I wouldn't worry about the lost being a bit high over the first couple of weeks, as long as you don't feel weak/fatigued. After that, it should slow down.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    That depends. If you weigh a lot, you will see results faster if you stick to your new lifestyle. Eventually, it will slow down