no good at running. :(

Options
2»

Replies

• RunningSteph
    Options
    Start out with a small goal like running for 10 minutes or running a mile and then slowly increase it. I keep a running log and at Christmas time in 2007 (10 weeks after giving birth) I could only run 1.25 miles but now I'm up to 5-10 miles a day. Stick with it! You'll be so glad you did!
  • dewassel
    Options
    Hey, Leah! I missed yesterday because we had snnow but I did another 40 minutes of one run one walk today! How did you do?
  • dewassel
    Options
    No running today - 25 stairclimber, 20 strength training:smokin:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I hate running and I look like I shouldn' t BE running when I do, but there are 2 things that have helped me progress. 1 is the great music on my playlist - I need really loud, obnoxious, fast songs and 2 is I got a heart rate monitor. I get so excited to see how many calories I'm burning that it distracts me! I'll say," Hmm, let's see how many calories I can burn if I just run down one side of the lake" and then when I see the results it makes me run more! (I am mentally still a little kid, just distract me and I will do things even when i don't really want to! :laugh: )
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    Start off with a good warm up~this should be 5 to 10 minutes of walking~then progress to jogging and running. If you are bored/tired go back to the walk or slow jog. Then pick up your pace again or add incline on the treadmill or a hill or two outside. For your music, choose a "power song" to play over and over as much as you need to keep going!!!! Always finish your runs with a cool down too and then some stretching. It'll get easier every time you go out. Also try some squats and lunges a few days a week to strengthen all the big muscles you'll be using when you run. Have fun!!!!
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    haha, i'm sooo the same way!! I never ran before in my life, like REALLY ran until this past September! I'm finding it rewarding even though I can only do it for 5 minutes on a really good day :laugh: Just do what you can. Walking at a fastish speed on a steep incline will burn more calories. When i'm on the treadmill I have a schedule that's usually like this:
    Get on-2 minutes: walk at a light pace
    2-6 minutes: run
    6-8 minutes: walk at a light pace
    8-13 minutes: walk a highest incline at a fast pace
    13-15 minutes:walk at a light pace
    15-18 minutes:run
    18-20 minutes:cool down
    I think working in small intervals will eventually get me running longer distances, but for right now, running is not my strop point. But I really admire watching those next to me who run hard for 30 minutes! haha, it's do-able!

Good info! I need to start some type of jogging/running i just dont feel right doing it on a treadmill. the time goes by so quick when your outside.
  • dewassel
    Options
    Too cold to go to the gym today - 45 minutes on the bike & 12 miles. Party time:drinker: