Taking a "break?"

Options
Hi everyone! I've been considering taking a break from my calorie deficit and wanting to go to maintenance for a while. I think I've been restricting too much since I've been on a binge-restrict cycle recently that's been so difficult to break. During the week I'll eat at a deficit of about 1700 calories a day, and then on the weekends I probably go over maintenance on two nights by probably 1,000 calories, so I'm undoing all my hard work! I am a 5'10" female, 27 years old, and fairly active (I lift, do boot camp classes and run, exercising about 90 minutes/6x a week). I am not going to stop logging but considering increasing my calories to close to maintenance for a few weeks. Has anyone tried this, and did it help them achieve their goals still, albeit a bit delayed? Thanks for your help and advice fam!! :-)

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone, so I can't post the link, but search for a post by @SideSteel called "The Diet Break". I think you'll find it beneficial and relevant to your current situation. :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    a defecit of 1700 calories a day? theres your issue right there...just stop doing that..
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Susieq_1994! That's just what I was looking for.
  • merbear787
    Options
    Thanks @JaydedMiss! I may have wrote that wrong but my calorie goal was 1700 lol!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    merbear787 wrote: »
    Thanks @JaydedMiss! I may have wrote that wrong but my calorie goal was 1700 lol!

okay good thatd of been scary :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1700 net or gross, if you work out for 90 minutes 6 x a week?
  • merbear787
    Options
    @TavistockToad it was gross... I think I was cutting too low. I just LOVE the gym haha, so I definitely don't want to stop going as much as I have
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad it was gross... I think I was cutting too low. I just LOVE the gym haha, so I definitely don't want to stop going as much as I have

You're way under fueling, no wonder you're bingeing.

Eat back your exercise cals or use a tdee calculation to get a more reasonable calorie goal.
  • merbear787
    Options
    That's what I was thinking @TavistockToad. I use a Fitbit so I think I'll use the TDEE since it's hard to calculate exercise calories. If I do TDEE it's closer to 1900-2000 to lose weight at 15% deficit which should be pretty moderate. Love how being active gives me more calories!! Thanks for your help!!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Breaks are good, especially if you've been banking or cutting too hard.
  • merbear787
    Options
    Thanks @CoachJen71, I've been trying to cut for too long now! I think I'll up my calories to close o maintenance and see how I'm feeling for about a week!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Thanks @CoachJen71, I've been trying to cut for too long now! I think I'll up my calories to close o maintenance and see how I'm feeling for about a week!

I had to do that myself last month. Too much pre and post holiday dieting really screwed with my ED. Been eating tdee and doing well, tho I still have anxiety about when weekend meals out start popping up in my life again.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This past week was my diet break. I've been averaging 1lb/week loss but want to experiment with diet breaks every few months. I still managed to lose a lb this week so I'm expecting next week will catch up and I'll stay about even. Today's long run (trail) felt really strong. I am going back into a deficit this week though. Overall I really liked my first diet break and will continue them. Best of luck to you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been considering taking a break from my calorie deficit and wanting to go to maintenance for a while. I think I've been restricting too much since I've been on a binge-restrict cycle recently that's been so difficult to break. During the week I'll eat at a deficit of about 1700 calories a day, and then on the weekends I probably go over maintenance on two nights by probably 1,000 calories, so I'm undoing all my hard work! I am a 5'10" female, 27 years old, and fairly active (I lift, do boot camp classes and run, exercising about 90 minutes/6x a week). I am not going to stop logging but considering increasing my calories to close to maintenance for a few weeks. Has anyone tried this, and did it help them achieve their goals still, albeit a bit delayed? Thanks for your help and advice fam!! :-)

I just posted this in the maintenance forum. But, for what it's worth ......I have been in successful maintenance at 2000 for about 6 months, found it fairly easy. But I cut back to 1700 on March 1 to drop the last 10 and my cravings have been uncontrollable. I can do 1700 for a few days, then a binge hits. Not helpful, I know. But that's how it went for me.

• merbear787
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »

I had to do that myself last month. Too much pre and post holiday dieting really screwed with my ED. Been eating tdee and doing well, tho I still have anxiety about when weekend meals out start popping up in my life again.

That sounds similar to my experience ever since the holidays. I'm looking forward to breaking out of the cycle and being more consistent!
  • merbear787
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    This past week was my diet break. I've been averaging 1lb/week loss but want to experiment with diet breaks every few months. I still managed to lose a lb this week so I'm expecting next week will catch up and I'll stay about even. Today's long run (trail) felt really strong. I am going back into a deficit this week though. Overall I really liked my first diet break and will continue them. Best of luck to you!

That's awesome to hear! I can't wait to feel stronger during my workouts :smile:
  • merbear787
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

I just posted this in the maintenance forum. But, for what it's worth ......I have been in successful maintenance at 2000 for about 6 months, found it fairly easy. But I cut back to 1700 on March 1 to drop the last 10 and my cravings have been uncontrollable. I can do 1700 for a few days, then a binge hits. Not helpful, I know. But that's how it went for me.

Oh no! Thanks for dropping in on this post too. I'm thinking I'll see how maintenance goes. I think I was cutting too low on my calories. Have you tried to go in between and maybe try it out around 1800 or 1900 even? Since you have so little to lose this may help though it'll take longer to lose the last ten!