grated carrots

Options
Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
I've received a large bag of grated carrots. Anyone have suggestion what I can do with it besides add it to smoothie & recipes?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I guess I don't understand.

I use shredded carrots in things like spaghetti sauce, which is probably uncommon. It bulks up the sauce, makes it go further, adds some nutrients, and adds a nice nutty sweetness.

Of course, carrot muffins. Cole slaw. Stir fry. Soup. Salads.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I add grated carrots to my spaghetti sauce too, or you could make soup with them

• KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I add to soups, salads, wraps, spaghetti sauces, pasta, casseroles, chilli, smoothie, topper for baked sweet potato, plain potato, homemade pizza and stews. It's one of those universal veggies that I like to sneak in and my 5yo kid doesn't notice to complain about. Lol
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    In salads.
    In wraps
    In smoothies
    In cole slaw
    In a breakfast hash
    In an omelette
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it going bad you can lay a portion out thinly on wax paper on a cookie tray and freeze it. Repackage after freezing.

I'd make a really big batch of spaghetti sauce, heavy on the oregano and carrot. The mason jars, loosely packed and without lids also would go in the freezer. Put lids on after frozen through.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    As usual, seeing "grated carrots" in print or in a picture reminds me of the ambrosia that was the carrot raisin salad at Chick-fil-A. :'(
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I love grated carrots on meatless sandwiches (i.e., with cheese, hummus, avocado, tomatoes, sprouts, etc. -- actually, they're pretty good on turkey sandwiches, too). Probably wouldn't make that big a dent in a huge bag of grated carrots, though, unless you eat a lot of sandwiches.

I'm thinking you could freeze them until you're in the mood to use them in soup (pureed with other root vegetables or squash, with a little ginger) or to make carrot cake (thaw and drain or squeeze excess liquid out before adding to recipe).

There's a salad I used to get at the local Amish farmer's market, that seemed to have little to it except grated carrots and slivered almonds, sometimes raisins. It didn't seem to have much of any kind of dressing (maybe a small amount of thinned mayo?). -- OK, I just tried to find it by googling, and couldn't find the exact salad, but founds lots of recipes for similar salads that are mostly grated carrot, with additions like pineapple, apple, and/or raisins. One of them was dressed with mayo thinned with milk and a little sugar.

If all else fails, adopt a family of rabbits?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    great ideas, thank you. I do use carrots in a lot of dishes I make, but I use the baby carrots. These are tiny pieces. I do make a great carrot cake, but I'm not having that right now. hmmm, maybe I'll make my carrot cake & give it to a friend. I will freeze some though
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Put on a pan, spray with olive oil spray, season. Roast in oven at 425 till they start to get crispy, shaking pan around every once in a while. Yummy!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I added one shredded carrot, raisins and pecans to a Baked Oatmeal recipe this weekend. It was great! https://youtube.com/watch?v=VkaVTQXLA90

fq8df4d3tpo1.jpg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'd just eat them, personally. i love shredded carrots.

a single can of pineapple chunks is my go-to way of 'preparing' them.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish, balsamic vinegar and yogurt for a salad

Or add a dash of mayo and sesam eoil for a nice salad

Throw it in your soup or use in place of rice for dinner
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i like to add some in the mince when i make burgers.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I make carrot cake. *shrug*
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
  • crbillet
    crbillet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Delicious salad/snack.
    Drizzle with a little sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. Garlic and ginger if you have it, too.
    Or get a bunch of fresh tarragon or dill - and drizzle with olive oil and wine vinegar.
  • sparks9777
    sparks9777 Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Make carrot muffins