Just started a low calorie diet..need to lose about 70 or so!!

Options
GnicoleL
GnicoleL Posts: 16 Member
Hello anyone and everyone!
I have recently started a lower calorie diet an was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on higher fiber foods and foods to keep me full longer. I have had such a issue with overeating; even on the healthy stuff..
Any suggestions for me to get back to pre baby weight please!!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you still nursing. If so you need to be sure you eat enough to maintain that.

Most people find that if they try to eat more protein and fat dense foods they stay fuller longer than when they eat lots of carbs. But that isnt the case for everyone. Veggies are a great way to bulk up a meal for fewer calories.

Other than that it takes some trial and error. Start logging (I suggest getting a cheap food scale if you dont already have one so you can log by weight) and reflecting after you eat. If you eat something that keeps you full for a while then try to eat other similar items. If you find yourself hungry soon after you know that particular food is not very valuable to you. You will find your happy place in no time!

Also play with meal timing. I prefer to eat light throughout the day and enjoy a nice big dinner. Other people are happier doing the opposite. There is no right or wrong way, just try to eat a variety of foods and stay in your calorie goal.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try calorie lighter food which you can eat a lot of. Eggs/ veggie omelette for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch, maybe some light soup based on veg broth instead of cream-base for dinner. I have about 20 pounds to lose to get to pre baby weight and have noticed some overeating bcs of breastfeeding too. I have never been overweight in my life before so i was very uncomfortable in this shape but of course you have to focus on the baby first before getting back in shape. so now i am trying to eat about 1300- 1400 daily. But it is possible bcs breastfeeding is finished for me in the first place.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Concerned about the phrasing that you have started a "low" calorie diet. You may just mean lower in comparison to what you were eating, but if not, consider carefully if your weekly weight loss goal is appropriate for you and your circumstances. As others have mentioned, if you are breastfeeding, that should be your first concern. Also, while a 2 lb/week goal may be feasible with 70 lbs to lose, it is certainly not necessary and 1- 1.5 lbs/week can get you there much more comfortably and in a more sustainable way long-term, plus you will have room to adjust your calories downward as you lose and it becomes more difficult to achieve a deficit.

As to foods, fiber is filling, but so is protein & fat for many people and it's your best bet to aim for a good balance. Along with the whole food sources like fruits, veggies, beans, & lentils, I've found several fiber-enhanced products like pasta, wraps, english muffins, cereal, and Fiber One bars. But I also aim to keep my protein up with things like eggs, Greek yogurt, & lean meats & fish. Wish you the best! :)