Takeout tips!

Evening all and happy European Mother's Day! Tonight my family treated my mom to Chinese takeaway! Of course as soon as this was mentioned I made sure I ate as clean as possible throughout the day and got a quick workout it to make space for the calories at dinner time!

Upon doing some strategic thinking, instead of opting for a greasy caloric dinner I simply ordered Chinese chicken and vegetables (I asked for them to be boiled but not sure they did) and cooked my own rice noodles I had at home. Of course I had one or two vegetable spring rolls to treat myself...but my meal came to approx 350cal altogether! I will still be working extra hard in the gym but feeling less of a guilt this evening!

Anyone have any other tips and tweaks for takeaway favourites to morph around healthy eating?

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    If you only do it once in a while just eat what wou want no big deal
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    HappieRosy wrote: »
    Evening all and happy European Mother's Day! Tonight my family treated my mom to Chinese takeaway! Of course as soon as this was mentioned I made sure I ate as clean as possible throughout the day and got a quick workout it to make space for the calories at dinner time!

Upon doing some strategic thinking, instead of opting for a greasy caloric dinner I simply ordered Chinese chicken and vegetables (I asked for them to be boiled but not sure they did) and cooked my own rice noodles I had at home. Of course I had one or two vegetable spring rolls to treat myself...but my meal came to approx 350cal altogether! I will still be working extra hard in the gym but feeling less of a guilt this evening!

Anyone have any other tips and tweaks for takeaway favourites to morph around healthy eating?

I would ask for them to be steamed, not boiled. A Chinese restaurant should be able to steam with no problem (it's a common Chinese cooking technique, albeit more for dumplings and such than for dishes like chicken and vegetables). And ask for whatever sauce you're getting on the side, which is more of a calorie bomb than the amount of oil commonly used for stir-frying, any way.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    350 cals seems VERY reasonable for takeout Chinese.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    You could always eat half the portion they serve you as the portions tend to be enough for two meals.

If you are eating at home, you can find similar entries (take an average or take the higher entry) and weigh what you eat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I find your 350 calorie somewhat low. Each spring roll was likely at least 100calories, if not more.

Not trying to be mean or rain on your parade, but it sounds like you might be under estimating this meal.
  • BlackCoffeeBabe
    BlackCoffeeBabe Posts: 20 Member
    I usually check the menu beforehand to see what I am going to get and pre log it. I do this anyway to check that there are vegan options but it is good to do from a health/calorie perspective too!
    Sometimes I will just get an entree or otherwise I find that choosing vegetable dishes will have less of an impact depending on the sauce.
    I also tend to go to healthier places to eat out anyway- Japanese, Thai, salads, vegan places, and places that have lower calorie tofu dishes cooked with less oil etc. I live in a country that doesn't do the huge portions found in America so that helps too- I think if I was eating out in America a lot I would have to ask for a take away bag and spread the leftovers over one or two meals.
    Another good strategy is to get to know your own appetite. Some people do better if they eat less before going out in order to eat more at dinner, while others will do better having something small and healthy to eat before going out in order to have a smaller appetite for higher calorie restaraunt food!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Did you have any sauce on the chicken and vegetables? Because that's very low considering you also had noodles and 2 spring rolls. If you didn't have sauce, I kind of don't get the point of getting takeout - I can make boiled chicken and veg at home!
    When I get chinese, I tend to get chilli prawns - just prawns, lots of veg and a light chilli sauce.
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2017
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I find your 350 calorie somewhat low. Each spring roll was likely at least 100calories, if not more.

Rice noodles were 92 cal. Chicken and veg (no sauce included) 170cal. Homemade vegetable spring rolls approx 45cal per roll.
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2017
    In case everyone was wondering.. Rice noodles 92cal. Chicken and veg (asked for no sauce) came to 170cal. Homemade vegetable spring rolls approx 45cal per roll. Using most of the nutritious food at home and cooking yourself really does trim down the intake!

Also people may say it would be pointless to get takeout if I just got chicken and veg, however it was a family meal and I had no more veggies left at home