My first 10k

Options
Okohme
Okohme Posts: 152 Member
This upcoming Sunday is my first 10k race. I have been prepping for it for a number of weeks. I'm a new runner, only a few months of regular running, before that lots of walking, before that, lots of sitting. My main question is how different is prepping and recovery from this race liable to be from my long runs? My long run has been 7 miles for the last month, so I know I can cover the distance (albeit slowly). I've done a lot of reading on the subject but much of the prep seems to be aimed at runners going much farther than 10k, so I am wondering degree of carbo loading is really necessary and whether following a 10k active recovery or a more sedentary recovery is better. I know there is going to be a lot of individual preference involved, but I am just curious as to people's experience. Some of the plans I have seen call for doing no resistance training the week of the race, some say to do lighter, or just to lay off a couple days prior.
Thoughts?

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the running.

You probably should do a small taper the week of the event. Taper is where you cut back on your training. Try and go for a slow short run 4 days before and you can do some resistance the week before.

Try and take at least 2 days before the event off entirely. A carb load isn't really necessary, but you can try one if you want.

The day after go for a slow walk or jog to aid recovery and more lactic acid out.

Good luck :smiley:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    First 10K, Congrats. Enjoy the run. No matter what you'll have a Personal Best. ;-)

You've gone over the 10K in training (7 miles) so you know you can cover the distance and you know how recovery will be. Start slow, you can always pick up the pace if you feel able. Starting too fast can kinda ruin the day. Carb loading for a 10K is not necessary. Do what you've done for your 7 mile training run. I always enjoy a slow recovery run the day following. You'll have to figure what suits you best. A short taper period is a good idea. Don't stop just take it a little easier in the week leading up to the race.

Most of all, ENJOY THE RACE. You're going to do just fine. Start slow, finish strong. No matter what you'll get a PB.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Agree with MobyCarp......a lot depends on your plans for the race.

As a newer runner my suggestion is, at least for your first race, that your main goal is to finish with a smile on your face rather than worrying too much about your time. If that's your goal you can be guided largely by what you're doing before and after your 7 mile long run. if you run at a similar pace you already know how you'll feel the next day etc.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Loads of great advice here - just wanted to say good luck with your race. Arrive early, use the toilet early and don't line up at the front of the field of runners. They may have markers or pacers for your possible finish time so look out for that. I run 10k in around 1 hour 15 mins so I start at the back just in front of the walkers. Practice what you are going to eat (including times before running) on a training run. For example, I always eat porridge oats two hours before my races. Eat plenty the day before, you don't need to carbo load but if you are dieting maybe eat at maintenance calories that day to give you fuel for the run. Have a great day and let us know how you get on.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    You don't need to carb load before a 10k, but it is a good idea to pick something for dinner the night before your race that is easy on the stomach - i.e. not high fat, high fiber or really spicy.

I always race my races, so don't be surprised if you are completely spent and not hungry when you finish. As said above, walk around for a bit after you cross the line, stretching out your muscles and letting your stomach settle before trying to eat anything. Don't sit down right away.

Recovery shouldn't be a big problem. Walk or run the next day, but easy. Don't do speed work for a week or so. (The general rule of thumb on recovery is one day of easy only for each mile run in a race.)

Have fun.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Definitely want to wish you the best in your 1st 10K...I know I was sooooo excited for mine. : D

As others have mentioned, no need to carb load or taper. I usually rest 2 days before, and do an easy short run the day before (2-3 miles) the day before to keep my legs loose. No need for race fuel either.

I find it beneficial to do dynamic stretching the morning of, waiting for the race to start and some light jogging to loosen up my legs.

Make sure you do static stretching after the race. I do my normal run /exercise routines following a race up through the half marathon. Once you get to the marathon distance, you need to take it easy after the race.

Hope you enjoy it, and then start searching for a 15K!! :smiley: Lol!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have nothing else to add to the excellent advice you've received so I'll just say "Good Luck and Have Fun"!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mobycarp has said all you need to know.

My first race was a 10K, great experience.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I started 10ks last year and loved them! My advice, drink the water at the stations but keep moving. Stretch before and walk after the finish line, keep moving so you don't cramp and get sore. Leading up to the race, two days before just do a walk and the day before rest. Don't push yourself in distance the week of, easy 2-3 miles to keep yourself loosened up and ready to run. Also jog a bit before you get in line, then you will be warmed up before the horn sounds. As another poster said, the crowd will pull you to run faster right off the gate. Try to keep an even pace so you don't wear out. If you feel yourself hitting the wall slow down but don't stop. If you must walk, do it but try to run again when you feel recovered.
    Don't forget to save some energy for the push at the end: That's the most exciting part is running strong at the finish line!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »
    I did it! :):):)
    Finished at 1:02:38.
    Not terrible for my first go.

Congratulations- that's a fantastic time. Well done- celebrate tonight
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

AWESOME!!!!

So when is the next one??? :D
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is awesome!!! Great job and time!! My first 10K is next Saturday! Please share any tips!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Way to go! I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as planned.
  • Okohme
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    Congratulations, that is awesome!!! Great job and time!! My first 10K is next Saturday! Please share any tips!!

All the above posters offered great tips. My personal advice, slow and steady won't win the race, but it will finish it.
  • Okohme
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

AWESOME!!!!

So when is the next one??? :D

Not for a little bit. I'm moving on to speedwork and strength training for a bit. At some point when I've got more time I might try for a 13.1.