Question for runners

Options
Sometimes I have a really hard time focusing while I am running. I find my mind wondering all over the place and it really affects my performance. Any advice on staying focused? What do ya'll think about during that 30-60 min??

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just kinda let my mind wander lol
    On my longer runs (8+), I listen to a podcast.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I listen to hard rock which usually keeps me focused. Last time I ran my headphones broke, which made me angry, but I just think about stuff like "this is for me!" or about the times when I couldn't even run a mile. Just generally I think about stuff that keeps me motivated.

Good luck! =-)
  • cookie241
    cookie241 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think well try not to anyway, lol. I just listed to some music and try and focus on the next goal, which could be the next lamp-post along or the corner of the road etc. Although i have done several 10k runs and one race i do tend to do shorter runs for the most part so am probably only out for 30-40 mins at a time. I do find the music really helps though esp if a really upbeat song comes on.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a really hard time focusing while I am running. I find my mind wondering all over the place and it really affects my performance. Any advice on staying focused? What do ya'll think about during that 30-60 min??

If I stay focused on my running, I find it feels like it's so much more effort! I listen to music while I run - that way I tend to notice less when I am feeling out of breath and tired....if that makes sense!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My mind wanders too - that's what gets me through it, lol. I am thinking "what's for dinner", "will that damn dog get out the way" and "oh look, that house is for sale", hahaha
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I don't run with my MP3 player as it's distracting, unsafe where I run and upsets my rhythm. It's invaluable on the treadmill, however, where I'd otherwise bite my own arm off with boredom.

It's good to have a goal for each session to help you concentrate. I have three sessions a week; intervals, tempo and long, slow distance.

For intervals you don't have a chance to get bored as you work really hard for a short time and need to check the time; and for tempo you have to concentrate to keep up a faster pace that you can maintain. For the long, slow run, I watch the world go by and the seasons change and let my mind wander to fluffy kittens, rainbows and what I'm going to stuff my face with the minute I get through the door.
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use running time to think and disconnect. Not focusing on running makes it easier for me. I listen to house music preferably without lyrics otherwise I start singing along and thinking about how long each song is and how much time just went by.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The wandering mind is the major challenge while running. I have to have headphones in so I dont hear my breathing. I pick songs I can ummm not really sing aloud to but sing to myself I guess, and run at a pace I can comfortably carry on a conversation. Running outside , I like to change my routes up also. I use an app for my iphone that tells my distance and pace. Treadmill I like to have a tv on, sometimes put in a movie to distract my mind from the task. During my workouts I will run four four or five minutes then pick two exercises to do five sets of five, then back and forth from run to weights until I get two or three miles in and four or five rounds of the five sets of five.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually just let my mind wander and listen to my ipod. My music when I run has to be upbeat, like rock or hip hop it helps me keep my pace. I think about things I did that day or what I am going to do on the weekend.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I just use the time to think. No ipod for me, as I run on the streets and sidewalks and need all my senses to ensure I don't get run over by a careless drive.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I can not focus either. I just listen to my ipod and go with the flow.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think about things going on in my life, sometimes my only focus is the trail. Sometimes my mind goes totally blank and I just run in a zone. Those are my best days.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Wandering is good for my runs. If I focus on my run, I'm counting steps and looking at my time/pace, watching my HR, and then I start paying attnetion to how tired I am and my muscles hurt and how I'm bored ... and I want to quit too soon.

Instead, I either listen to good music (90% of the time) or an audiobook. when it's music, my mind is thinking about work, home, kids, family, etc ... all those things I need to do that day ... and I can plan my day. Then when I'm done running, I'm rarin' to go!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I let my mind wander. As long as I'm still going the same distance, I don't care if I'm running at full steam or half steam... the calorie burn is going to be about the same. I'm only really focused when I'm doing a race and there's other people to keep up with or pass.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have tried listening to music while running, the only time I cared for that was when I was running my second half marathon, it was invaluable to me that day... but when Im out on a typical run I find the music distracts me and messes with my rhythm and takes away from "my time" of getting outdoors, on a trail, by myself, on the river etc. I think about stresses in my life I think about what Im gonna do when Im done, I think about the technical trail Im on, practicing my form because its lacking...I chat with a buddy sometimes that Im running with but sometimes, I dont think I think at all... I love runs like that, my mind goes somewhere else, thats why I run:)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I switch up my music playlists a lot. Podcasts are a good idea. Every now and again, I go entirely without headphones and just listen to the outdoors (I'm in the country) and am always surprised at how listening to my cadence is relaxing.

Let your mind wander. I find when I'm TOO focused on the workout (i.e. on the treadmill downstairs with nothing to look at and bored), the run is harder mentally.
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I noticed that happening with me too when I was using the treadmill at my apartment even with some awesome tunes on.

I switched it up and started going outdoors more for my runs and it keeps me occupied with the wonderful sound and smells of nature plus there are other runners there that I try to keep pace with.

But the right kind of music will do wonders!
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and suggestions!!!! I can't wait to try them out and see if I do any better! I listen to my ipod but I am thinking I need some new music and I never thought about a podcast. Great suggestion!!! I am going to really work on not thinking about anything, just enjoying the time, and definitely not thinking about how much my legs hurt!!! :happy:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I find it very very boring and hard running without music ... So I run to music, and think about the music, and just focus on whats a head of me ...
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I run to let my mind escape for a bit actually. I listen to music and just let it wonder. Oddly relaxing.