Friends On MyFitnessPal- Etiquette question maybe?

Options
Well, I think I am taking the "friends" thing on My Fitness Pal too seriously maybe. I thought the purpose of having the friends is to motivate each other. I have a lot of friends on my list that I do not hear from in one way or another, and do not really like my activities or diary, and seems like they are active, because we have friends in common and they will motivate others. Am I taking this friends thing to seriously? Should I remove friends who are not really motivating to me? I think a lot of them would not miss me if I removed them. At the same time, I do have a lot of great motivating friends on My Fitness Pal that I would really miss if they were to remove me (so therefore- I try to be encouraging to all my friends on here!) What should I do? Should I message them before removing people? :)

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs and likes different interactions. I follow what my friends are doing on my newsfeed, but don't comment often. I like to see what they are doing. If you want constant motivation, keep the friends you like and delete the others--no explanations.
  • amks3818
    amks3818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my friends to a minimum so I can I interact with them. I like the motivation portion of having friends. I think others just like seeing a high number of friends. This experience is what you make of it and if you want supportive friends then remove the ones that you don't want. We are all adults and should be able to handle getting removed.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the same friends liking and commenting on my stuff a lot. I don't get fussed by the ones who aren't as active but if it bothers you just delete them. No need for a message or undue drama.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I keep my friend list small on purpose and I try to personally support those on my friend list. I want to know my contacts, and know what their goals are.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm here both to get fit and encourage others. It's your page. I typically only delete people that are not active, post drama, or here for other reasons. You don't owe anyone an explanation, I would only say something to someone I regularly interact with. Otherwise not needed.
  • dennisTee
    dennisTee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Quality over quantity in these types of situations.
  • luvthewaves
    luvthewaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I feel the same way. I comment and encourage and i would really like the same in return. There is nothing wrong with that. You just have to find those kinds of friends and say goodbye to people who never interact ;)
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have deleted my fair share of folks. I would rather have friends that reciprocate actual support and can do more than click on a "like" icon. Braggarts get pretty boring after a short while. I also like friends that have open diaries; I've learned a lot from creeping other's diaries. I could use a few more supporters. Please check out the part of my profile about friend requests and if anyone is still interested, please send me a request.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I deleted a few because I thought they were inactive. I kinda wish I didn't they were with me at the very start:(. I don't see their posts so I think they maybe inactive.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I always try to actually check their walls and send a message to see if they really are inactive. I have one friend that posts workouts regularly but my list says he has not been active in months.
    I am inspired by others, but know not everyone is the same. Sometimes all that people need to be inspired is just to see others active. So if I see people are logging in and on regularly, I don't delete them. Maybe that's all they need, I'm ok with that. Different things motivate different people.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I keep friends that are active.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You are taking it too seriously but you can remove friends from your friend list for whatever reason you want.
    You could also let it go and concentrate of being motivating yourself.

It has been a long time since I've spent time looking at my newsfeed to like or comment on friend's activities. If people want to unfriend me that is fine. I interact more on the message board than with MFP friends.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find people on my friends list doing things like logging and exercises inspiring me to get up and move and eat healthy. I like them liking my stuff but I find liking theirs more useful.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I clear my friends list down at the end of each month. There is no point in having friends on her if you don't support and motivate each other. I don't like the like button either it doesn't tell me anything. There is no need to message people first before you delete. I have had the same situation as you friendssuporting and motivating others but not me. I would not say you are taking it too seriously at all thats what supporting each is all about giving and reviving comments.
  • lindafit4life21
    lindafit4life21 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm on here everyday and even thou I have a few friends I always like to have more and keep in touch with all that are active . Friends make me feel like I have support or good ideas , i.e. Workout, recipes .