New to cycling question

Options
Do your *kitten* bones ever get used to the extremely uncomfortable saddle trying to get intimate with you? How do you make it hurt less?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Cycle shorts and practice
  • noddy230983
    noddy230983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Find a saddle that suits your sit bones is a big help too. A lot of bike shops have sample saddles that you can try out on your bike so that you can find the right one for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The right saddle and good cycling shorts make all the difference in the world.

But if you are new to cycling then just time and time in the saddle is going to get you acclimatised.
    Use hills to do some standing cycling intervals to give your bum a break.
  • mwopm3
    mwopm3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I empathize and agree that it's time in the saddle that will fix this. Congrats for picking up cycling and keep it up!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Good cycling shorts and saddle. I found it also stopped hurting after a month or so.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    A good bike shop can help you find a better fitting saddle than what came with your bike. And they'll be happy to sell it and some expensive but worth it bike shorts to you, too.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The way the seat is angled, too, may make a difference. Hopefully, you got your bike adjusted by someone at the shop or who knows how to fit a bike specific to your frame. I had a seat angled up just a SMIDGE too much, and boy is killed me. Turned it a couple mm down, and it made all the difference.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    First, because you're new to this, you need to get used to it a bit.

A good bike shop will have a demo saddle program; they'll lend you one for a week, then another, and another, until you find the right one.

It's counterintuitive but less padding is better.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the statements above. Find a good local bike shop. Get a proper saddle and proper shorts. Then ride as much as you can. Your body will adjust.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    1) Make sure your bicycle is set up so that it fits you properly. It also helps if you are not too upright.

2) Make sure you've got the right saddle for you. It needs to be wide enough so that your sitbones are comfortably placed on it, but not too wide.

3) Get a decent pair of cycling shorts with enough padding to cover your sitbones but not too much so that it bunches and causes friction.

4) Strengthen your upper body and core. You should not be putting all your weight on the saddle. Much of your weight should be on your feet, but that requires a strong core.

5) Sit with good posture.

6) Ride lots. And exercise lots in general.

These days, I can do a 400 km randonnee (400 km within a 27 hour time limit including all breaks) with no butt issues at all. A number of years ago, I could do 1200 km randonnees (1200 km within a 90 hour time limit including all breaks) with no butt issues. The only thing holding me back from doing 1200 km randonnees now is that my leg strength and fitness level need to build up a little bit more.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Agree with those that say not to go too soft on your saddle. Those big cushy ones just go up and around your sit bones and squish your bits.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @CincyNeid could maybe share his expertise.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I definitely need to invest in some cycle shorts. Thanks for all of your responses.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I definitely need to invest in some cycle shorts. Thanks for all of your responses.

They definitely make a difference, as does time in the saddle. The more you ride, the less it will hurt.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Also, DZnuts chamois cream is your friend.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Shorts certainly help, but they are only a band-aid if the seat is in the wrong position. When I was new to road biking, I got a loaner bike from a man. We adjusted the bike to me as best we could, but left the seat with the slight tilt up in the front that preferred. I didn't experience discomfort on the bike, but later in the day it would hurt to pee. I had been wear bike shorts. Female bits and a tilt up in the front are not a good combination.

I watched some youtube videos on seat set up and made sure the seat was level and position properly (as best I could on my own). Next ride --no issues. I eventually ended up buying my own women's specific bike (with a women's seat) that was fitted by the store to me --even better.

The next year, I started commuting to work by bike and bought a hybrid for the commute. The store adjusted the seat height and that was it. I had no end of problems with the seat but didn't' think about getting it "fit" because it was "only a hybrid". Turns out I was positioned with too much weight in the front, which caused my hips to roll and friction -- despite bike shorts. The hybrid gave me my first saddle sore -- what a *kitten* gift.

Moral of my stories -- the priority is to get the right seat and the correct bike set up. Cycling shorts will provide comfort, especially in hot sweaty weather, but not solve the problem of a bad bike set up.

Also as a previous poster mentioned, chamois cream is not just for the pros. Bike seat - bottom friction is the enemy of comfortable riding - use whatever it takes to have a comfortable ride. Be particularly mindful on long, sweaty, summer rides.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Seek and find the best saddle for you. In my experience they vary amazingly. Even two visually similar can feel worlds different. Beware too soft , they squish down and hurt you with their hard substructures. Beware too narrow, ischium bones of pelvises are what you sit on and they have a lot of variation between even within genders.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Get the right seat for you from a bike shop, and ride more. It does get better. Cycling shorts help as well. Finally, having the bike properly fitted to you makes a big difference as well.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here! :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The right saddle for you, proper positioning and padded shorts all help. But the thing that helps more than anything else is spending time in the saddle. It will never feel like an easy chair, but after a few weeks it'll get to the point that you can ride long distances without even thinking about the saddle.