Diets are a freaking waste of time!

Options
2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    emilykc822 wrote: »
    Whhhhyyyyy do I diet? Because I wanted quick results, but did I ever stop to think of lasting results. I used to think that the diet would help me lose weight (sometime it did and sometimes it didnt). When it did I felt confidENT until life became real again and I couldn't stick with the DIET for life. For over 12 years I have dieted and I'm done! Done! Done! All diets have brought me is extreme GUILT! made me feel like a failure, sad and total misery. I have not failed, my diet failed me.

I'm tired of wasting time and feeling guilty if I eat a slice of pizza or eat ice cream on a rare occasion. I'm going to track calories. I may not be totally perfect at it, but change takes time. I'm going to work on cutting down portion sizes while still enjoying the things I like.

Here's to a newer, happier me!

LOL. What makes you think tracking calories and cutting portion sizes is anything other than dieting?

Definition: Dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated and supervised fashion to decrease, maintain, or increase body weight. In other words, it is conscious control or restriction of the diet.

So yeah, you're still dieting.

I consider calorie restriction being "on a diet" too. People love to hate that word but unless you're using it to describe all the food you eat; It's the same thing. That being said; it works lmao

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I also consider calorie restriction to be "on a diet."

Also, the clean living thing isn't necessarily related to weight loss (like the guy in my office that tells me "eating peanut butter is like eating POISON"--he embraces pseudosciency stuff but it's not to lose weight, as he's already thin as a rail.)

But I am guessing you are probably referring to the really 'crazy' diets, OP. Like "drink a shot of apple cider vinegar and then eat nothing but grapefruit all day", lol. Good for you for rejecting that silliness. I yo-yoed for years too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Whhhhyyyyy do I diet? Because I wanted quick results, but did I ever stop to think of lasting results. I used to think that the diet would help me lose weight (sometime it did and sometimes it didnt). When it did I felt confidENT until life became real again and I couldn't stick with the DIET for life. For over 12 years I have dieted and I'm done! Done! Done! All diets have brought me is extreme GUILT! made me feel like a failure, sad and total misery. I have not failed, my diet failed me.

I'm tired of wasting time and feeling guilty if I eat a slice of pizza or eat ice cream on a rare occasion. I'm going to track calories. I may not be totally perfect at it, but change takes time. I'm going to work on cutting down portion sizes while still enjoying the things I like.

LOL. What makes you think tracking calories and cutting portion sizes is anything other than dieting?

Definition: Dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated and supervised fashion to decrease, maintain, or increase body weight. In other words, it is conscious control or restriction of the diet.

Yep, if I'm eating in a deficit eg not my maintenance calories, then I'm on a diet.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ^^^so much this!!
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I knew what you meant, and I'm taking the same approach as well!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Its the only thing that works long term,none of these crash diets,eliminating certain foods,etc,totally pointless and not long lasting! Good for you
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Exactly. The problem is that many people view "diets" as a temporary fix for their health. I think that is what the OP was saying.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Yep, if I'm eating in a deficit eg not my maintenance calories, then I'm on a diet.

Even eating to maintain, is really still practicing a diet. You are not eating mindlessly, right? Doesn't have to be deficit, in my view.
  • stit60
    stit60 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Good for you!!! Smart girl!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Even eating to maintain, is really still practicing a diet. You are not eating mindlessly, right? Doesn't have to be deficit, in my view.

Very true. Calories will ALWAYS be in the forefront of my mind. The days of eating what (or how much) i want whenever i want, or intuitive eating are long gone :( This worked fine when i was younger, but not anymore.