Rest days:for champs or chumps?

Options
I usually push myself to burn at least 400 calories in a day by running, rowing or cycling and I rarely take a rest day. But I'm starting to wonder, is there a benefit, weight loss wise, to taking rest days? The days I do take a rest day I feel really gross about myself, and its really hard to keep a calorie deficit without the exercise.

Replies

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Everyone in every sport needs a rest day or days every week.
    Also everyone needs to deload for at least a week, but it could be more depending on what you've just put your body though. I've hit more PR's after a good deload week than in the middle of a program.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm doing T25 ( HIIT exercise) and I'm taking a rest day once a week. Also, this week I finish bthe program and planning bro take a whole week off before I start another program. I noticed that I can't push a s hard during workout and my whole body aches and I'm just tired. So, my body I think she said begging for a rest;)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs rest. It is when the body recovers.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who did too much and ended up with an injury that put me back to square one with my running (after a lot of physio sessions, loads of strengthening exercises and plenty of yoga.... and STILL my knee bothers me if I do too much running and not enough yoga), I would say rest days are totally essential. You are asking for trouble if you don't rest.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    sychun1304 wrote: »
    I usually push myself to burn at least 400 calories in a day by running, rowing or cycling and I rarely take a rest day. But I'm starting to wonder, is there a benefit, weight loss wise, to taking rest days? The days I do take a rest day I feel really gross about myself, and its really hard to keep a calorie deficit without the exercise.

Seems like your problem is with your self image. Rest days are important...
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Fridays are my rest days... Rest days are very much needed and it is important to give your body and mind a day to heal. I know on Fridays that my calories will be lower as I will not have extra calories to play with. Fridays work for me as it is the last day of the work week before the weekend so I get home from work, have a light dinner and assume the position on the couch. ;) If you are feeling that way about yourself because you are not working out for that particular day then you have to ask yourself why? Why is your self image so low? I think when you can be honest with yourself about that, your mind set will change for the better. Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    sychun1304 wrote: »

For what you're doing, you don't need a rest day. Get some good sleep at night, and you've got your bases covered.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The body needs rest at some point. It is wise to take a rest day.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Rest days allow the body to focus on healing bruised muscles and reconstructing those that need growth. Make no mistake, even that process consumes calories, a workout calorie consumption doesn't stop when the workout stop, for some exercises depending on intensity of course, the benefit calorie-wise might last for 48 hours.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important, however there are different approaches to them. I take "active" rest days, where I run for 3 miles slow. Enough to get the kinks out of my legs before my hard leg day on Monday. If you're going hard every day, you're going to get injured eventually. Just listen to your body, that'll be the number one indicator.
    Running 3 miles and slow is a nice mental break from heavy lifting and running long/faster for me.
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's all individualized.

Using the cliche bucket of water metaphor, in order to have peak performance you need to put in adequate rest (full rest or active rest) equal to what you take out in your chosen sport/activity. How much recovery needed is based on far too many factors, and thus individualized.

Are you making progress in your goals? How is your health and energy? All of these are directly affected by your ability to recover.

For the majority of the masses, I personally feel people do not work hard enough. That being said, there are certainly people that beat themselves into the ground because they do not have the discipline or understanding that recovery is essential to their goals.

Just my 2 cents.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Rest days is important. Not only its recovers, re-energize your body, it also burns fat whilst resting. Never look down at rest as insignificant.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has a training program to progress their body needs to build in rest time.
    Rest is the # 1 overlooked training aid for athletes.

period.
    no questions asked.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you do not need rest, you are not training hard enough...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day when your training plan calls for one.

If you're not on a training plan, there's a good chance you don't need a rest day. If you're not on a training plan, listen to your body. If you start feeling very sore or have no energy and feel lethargic, or start dreading an exercise you normally enjoy, take a rest day (or two!).

Rest and recovery are a necessary part of all exercise, but how much you need depends on what you're doing for exercise. For a lot of people, the rest of the data, that night's sleep, and the next morning are plenty of time for recovery.

You can chart this out scientifically if you like to have a visual.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rest from strenuous training is important for recovery and thus performance. Rest and recovery is just as important as the training load. Note that rest doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing (though it could)...I typically have active recovery days..go for a walk, recreational bike ride with the kids, a nice easy hike in the mountains, yoga, etc...and sometimes my wife just wants me to get some yard work done.