USING DIET MEALS FROM THE STORE

Options
I've always cooked. So following recipes isn't an issue. The problem is: I always go past my allowable calories because there's three of us in our home and recipes are for 2, 4 or 6.

Weight Watchers and other portioned control meals are readily available in the stores, so I thought I would wean us into those. I realize you want to add a salad, some fruit or other veggie to them. For those who can have the extra carbs a roll would probably be ok (I cannot because of carb limits).

Now here's my dilema:

Some of these meals are higher in carb than others. I have to (medical reasons) count carbs. So, do I balance the meals? Like, a dinner with 19 carbs for one meal and a dinner with 33 carbs on another meal? I am allowed up to 60 carbs per meal but want to keep it under 45.

And has anyone else tried losing weight using these? Sodium is no problem.

Thanks!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Make the recipe that serves 6, cut in half, cut each half in thirds, freeze the rest. Also voila.

And check out the recipes on skinnytaste.com - lower calorie yums there!

~Lyssa

This what we do. We have 3 adults in the house. If making a recipe, I make for 6, half goes away for everyone to have lunch the next day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the issue. Both 19 and 33 are under your 45 gram goal. But if you are suggesting that you go over the 60 gram per meal limit on one meal but then eat significantly less on another, then I would say that is probably a bad idea. 60 grams of carbs is the approximate maximum number of carbs the human body can absorb in an hour. Your doctor is probably limiting you to 60 grams per meal with that in mind. Eating more than that will cause you to have carbs in your gut for a longer period of time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the issue. Both 19 and 33 are under your 45 gram goal. But if you are suggesting that you go over the 60 gram per meal limit on one meal but then eat significantly less on another, then I would say that is probably a bad idea. 60 grams of carbs is the approximate maximum number of carbs the human body can absorb in an hour. Your doctor is probably limiting you to 60 grams per meal with that in mind. Eating more than that will cause you to have carbs in your gut for a longer period of time.

More than 60 grams of carbs in a meal does seem like a lot, but....really? What happens to carb 61, or if you eat something that has more carbs than that?

Sorry, but this does not sound right to me. ;)

Source?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @lclarkewalker, don't trade in your good home cooking for packaged meals. Your family will probably be very mad at you, and you will be mad at yourself. All you need is portion control. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I live alone and I usually make recipes that serve anywhere from 2-6. I use the recipe builder and decide how many servings I want to divide it into, then divide it up into that number. It may mean eating leftovers for lunch. It may mean I eat it for a couple of days straight, or it may mean I freeze a couple of portions for future use on days I don't feel like cooking.

Frozen meals from the grocery store are very handy as an occasional fill-in but I could never base my meal planning around them.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

More than 60 grams of carbs in a meal does seem like a lot, but....really? What happens to carb 61, or if you eat something that has more carbs than that?

Source?

Carb 61 gets digested in hour 2 instead of hour one. The main reason people even think about how fast the body absorbs carbs is for athletic performance. When exercising, you want to keep the rate at which you eat at the rate at which you absorb carbs so that you don't begin to feel bloated. If you aren't exercising, then it really doesn't hurt anything to fill your gut with food and let it sit there for a few hours, unless there is a medical reason, which the OP indicated there is.

An interesting article on the subject:
    http://www.bicycling.com/food/eat-light-your-bike
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Source?

Carb 61 gets digested in hour 2 instead of hour one. The main reason people even think about how fast the body absorbs carbs is for athletic performance. When exercising, you want to keep the rate at which you eat at the rate at which you absorb carbs so that you don't begin to feel bloated. If you aren't exercising, then it really doesn't hurt anything to fill your gut with food and let it sit there for a few hours, unless there is a medical reason, which the OP indicated there is.

An interesting article on the subject:
    http://www.bicycling.com/food/eat-light-your-bike

For race fueling it's more complicated than that, as you are balancing what maximizes performance with the fear of it messing up your stomach and being counterproductive.

For example, a tri training group I was in (half ironman/ironman) provided the following information:

Bike

• 60-80 g CHO per hour from food + drink
    • Liquids or semi-solids digested better than solids
    • Too little = bonk vs too much = GI distress

Run

• 150-250 calories per hour
    • Preferably in the form of liquid or semi-solid; jostling can cause gut distress

The amount you need to be consuming can be tailored to your stats, speed, intensity with a calculator.

Of course, none of this is relevant to someone not eating to fuel an athletic event.

If OP's issue is IR, her focus would be quite different from someone fueling a race, and the limit is probably more to make sure the meal is balanced between carbs, protein, and fat (although I do think 60 is kind of high for an average meal, or at least more than I'd normally have even though I don't count carbs at all currently).
  • lclarkewalker
    lclarkewalker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Almost sorry I asked this question.

So lets see if anyone gets it.

I am addicted to food. If you ever watched MY 600 POUND LIFE you'd understand.

So, I make a meal for six and divide it in half. Sounds easy, right? Or that fourth serving. Yeah okay. I save that one little bit? Um.

IF ITS THERE I WILL EAT IT.

But, if I have just the diet meals in groups of three, well, I would have to take from my loved ones and I won't do that. So that seems to work.

All I wanted to know is if Nutrasystem, or Weight Watchers meals, have worked for anyone else.

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, I tried the weight watchers meals a month back and I was so depressed with how teeny tiny they were, I had to add potatoes or rice with them which upped my calories more than I was happy with so my opinion I would not bother as a long term thing, maybe the odd one here and there if your too busy too cook.
    Edit: Ah just saw what you put about "if its there I will eat it" yeah I know what you mean, its hard to avoid that left over food tucked nicely in the fridge.... you think to yourself " 1 sneaky mouthful won't hurt" and the next thing its all gone.... its hard I know but you have to resist and I don't think microwave meals have a whole lot of healthy nutritional values for long term use... i could be wrong so don't hold me on that.... maybe make smaller meals? so no left overs? I wish you all the best "hugs"