Cooking oatmeal in the microwave..

Options
I was wondering if anyone cooks oats in the microwave. If so what are your measurements and how long do you cook them for. Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's one way.

https://youtu.be/-mYGdBkIOQs

I put in 1/3 cup minute oats, some raisins, and one cup water. Two minutes. Watch carefully and stop the microwave if it threatens to over boil. I often add a couple tablespoons of powdered milk.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Instant Oatmeal packs I do in the microwave. Regular Oatmeal I've done in a saucepan on the stove.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do 30g oats, 250ml milk (you may want to use water), 15g dried fruit, 10g honey/maple syrup/sweetener of choice to taste and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Cook for 3 minutes 50 seconds (very precise, this took some experimentation and overflows!). I like my oatmeal/porridge quite thick.

Sachets are an option too.

Edit: My way comes out to 314 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Put microwaveable bowl on scales and zero.

Add:
    • 60g of organic rolled oats
    • Teaspoon of sugar
    • About a third of a small can of evaporated milk (gives great texture and a hint of caramel...)
    • Add milk to bring up to 330g

Microwave at 600w for 3:30 minutes.

BTW plastic bowls tend to be better than glass for avoiding boiling over.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    you know what.. I put milk in my oatmeal (2% typically) and it somehow always boils over. You'd THINK I would stand and watch it, but I apparently have microwave ADD
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    you know what.. I put milk in my oatmeal (2% typically) and it somehow always boils over. You'd THINK I would stand and watch it, but I apparently have microwave ADD

This is why I invested a little time working out exactly the point before it erupts. Now I can set and forget.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »

This is why I invested a little time working out exactly the point before it erupts. Now I can set and forget.

yeah..but..but... yah. I should do that.

When I DO watch, I let it get to tipping point, then I turn it off...then put it on for a bit until tipping point, and then off again..all this until it's the right texture.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    25g of quick oats (unsweetened), 150ml of skimmed milk 20g of sultanas for 3 min in my low watt microwave and it's perfect.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking my almost-daily oatmeal in the microwave for years this way: Measure out 1/2 cup old fashioned oats into a tall bowl*, stir in some salt, add 1 cup water, microwave for 3 minutes. Once it's cooled down enough I stir in some brown sugar. I like it plain like this, without any milk. Occasionally I go wild and add in some fresh blueberries along with the brown sugar.

*The one I use is a thick glass mixing bowl about 6 1/4" diameter x 4 3/4" tall. No overflow worries.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Half cup oatmeal and one cup almond milk, in microwave 3 mins. Then I mix through 25g vanilla whey protein and 50g 0% yogurt.
    You can also whiz blueberries ( or other berries) with the almond milk add it to the oats, pop n microwave then add the whey protein and 0% yogurt. I like to top that with flaked almonds and manukau honey.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Half cup old fashioned oats, 1 T Sugar in the Raw, and 1 1/4 cup almond milk. I microwave for 2 minutes. Perfect.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I use the oatmeal packets. 1 packet, 2/3 cup water, I tend to use a bit less water - I like my oatmeal thick. Microwave for 2 min. Stir and less cool for a min. I use a plastic bowl, no boil over.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of quick oats. 3/4 cup of water or milk or almond milk little cinnamon, small greated carrot and a hand full of walnuts. You can add some form of sweetener if you need it but I prefer without.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Fruit (apples, strawberries, bananas, etc.) in the bottom, 1/2 to 3/4 cup oats, salt, 6-8 seconds worth of water from the fridge. Microwave 2:20. Let it for 5 minutes. Add 30g whey protein.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have packets of plain instant porridge for almost every breakfast - they're 28g, and I add 160-170ml of milk, plus 15g (1 tbsp) of oat bran. 2 minutes on high, stand for a minute and then stir in 2 teaspoons of maple syrup and handful of blueberries. My cereal bowls are reasonable deep, so I've never had boil over issues. Keeps me full until (almost!) lunch.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal almost everyday, it's my daughter's favorite breakfast. It's one part oats to two parts liquid so half cup oats and one cup liquid or one cup oats and two cups liquid. She likes raisins and honey in it or fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use a BIG bowl for that, lol.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    40 grams oatmeal, ~3/4 cup water plus whatever else I'm adding to it for the day. Put in a deep bowl and microwave on high for 1.5 minutes (I like my oatmeal with more texture).
  • rainymorning84
    rainymorning84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just fill a cup with water and pu it in the microwave then pour it on the oat meal
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone cooks oats in the microwave. If so what are your measurements and how long do you cook them for. Thanks

I have 60 grams plus 32g peanut butter, add water, cook for 1 minute, stir in one scoop chocolate protein. Friggin delicious.