Breakfast Conundrum

Options
Breakfast usually consists of egg white omelette (1 while egg and 3 egg whites, veggies, ham, FF cheese), piece of toast with almond butter or PB2. Issue is I'm so hungry an hour later! No idea why, as calorie-wise it's fairly "hefty" and I'm getting a decent ratio of fat/protein/carbs. And when I say hungry, I mean stomach-rumbling hungry. Ideas??

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    In theory you are doing everything correctly- high protein healthy breakfast,
    Did you ever try porridge/oatmeal made with almond milk? I find it keeps me full for a long time compared to other breakfasts. You could have an egg too if you want to keep the protein up.
    Whatever I do I need a mid morning snack as I'm fairly active in the mornings.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Most of egg's nutrients are in the yolk, so instead of 1 whole egg 3 eggwhites i would just make 2 whole eggs omelette with a bit of milk. I add zucchini/mushrooms/bell peppers/or tomatoes and some fat reduced ham too to the omelette. Makes it voluminous and satisfying
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling hungry shortly after a substantial meal have a look at how your food intake has been, generally over the last few days or week.

On a heavy deficit?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Eggs always seem to make me hungry again quickly too. I go for oatmeal. But I also always plan a snack a couple hours after breakfast, no matter what it is.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Can you add fiber to your breakfast? That helps me.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No fiber, no volume, and not many nutrients so your body won't feel like you filled it up. Try a lb of broccoli as a starter. Nutrient packed, vitamin packed, fiber packed, and filling. Following that for desert, either a plate of oatmeal with cinnamon sprinkled on top, or maybe a baked potato, and you will still be low cals, low fat, with enough protein, and plenty carbs for energy, and you won't feel hungry for many hours afterwards.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is usually two eggs, two slices of bacon, and a banana. I eat around 5am and it holds me until dinner at about 11am.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of porridge/oatmeal, I'd suggest adding a spoonful of wheat bran or oat bran to a smoothie or full fat greek yogurt. You can also sprinkle it over almost any cereal. The bran swells up in the stomach, absorbing water, and so makes you feel much fuller for longer. I've started adding oat bran to my normal porridge, and I'm going all the way through to lunchtime, before even feeling a tiny bit hungry. It's doing triple duty - keeping me full, giving me a decent amount of fibre and (because it's made from oats) helping to reduce my cholesterol.

Like others, an egg/toast based breakfast does almost nothing for me, in terms of staving off hunger for any decent length of time. My weekend breakfast/brunch is often a portion of fruit, a little greek yogurt with oatbran stirred through, followed by a poached egg (yes, definitely have a whole one), a piece of rye/multigrain toast, and a good helping of low sugar baked beans. I think it's the beans that assist in feeling full (another high fibre food) as just the egg and toast would leave me starving fairly quickly. I suspect almost any food with a high fibre content will go towards helping you feel fuller for longer.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    techie30 wrote: »
    Breakfast usually consists of egg white omelette (1 while egg and 3 egg whites, veggies, ham, FF cheese), piece of toast with almond butter or PB2. Issue is I'm so hungry an hour later! No idea why, as calorie-wise it's fairly "hefty" and I'm getting a decent ratio of fat/protein/carbs. And when I say hungry, I mean stomach-rumbling hungry. Ideas??

I personally don't find eggs very filling even if they look good on paper. I'd try different foods.
    Maybe have a ham and full fat cheese sandwich and lots of veggies or some fruit.
    Try oatmeal instead. You could mix in the almond butter or PB2. Add some banana.
    Maybe eat a smaller breakfast but plan a mid-morning snack.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Yogurt protein bowls and they have been very filling, I eat around 730-8am every day and don't usually begin to feel hungry til lunch time.

1/2c or 1c of plain fat free Greek yogurt
    1/2 scoop of protein powder ( I use a chocolate peanut butter powder)
    1/4c of trail mix
    top with a fruit- my go to are either Blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, raspberries

So delish!! ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree with those suggesting to add more fiber. Increase the veggies. Also watch out for the sodium. Sometimes we misinterpret thirst as hunger. The sodium may be making you thirsty.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Change it up -- try not eating breakfast (unless you are hungry), eating later, eating different things, eating more or less calories, etc.

If it's new, are you eating enough calories throughout the day? Could it just be adjusting to a new habit of not starting to snack so early?
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Most days for breakfast I eat 130g of oily fish, such as fresh sardines or sprats, with 100g french beans, it always keeps me full until lunch.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My solution is not eating breakfast at all. I just have lunch around noon-1. That means I can also have a larger lunch and feel full longer. It takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to eating twice a day, but once you're used to it, it's really very easy. I don't start getting hungry till after 11am now.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A pound of broccoli!? Yikes.

But yes, I am also in the "If I'm going to be hungry whether I eat or not, I will save my calories" option, so I don't eat breakfast.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who recommend increasing fiber--fiber is pretty important to satiety for me personally. I usually have half a grapefruit and oatmeal with chia seeds (specifically to increase the fiber) and PB2 (for the protein) along with an egg. This is probably lower protein than your breakfast, but the greater bulk really helps me out. Also, I really did find that I am a happier person when I have a large (generally circling around 500 calories) breakfast. I don't know how many calories exactly your breakfast is, but I might recommend adding different things, playing with ingredients, and seeing what you can add to increase satiety.

As other people have suggested, if an IF type of diet in which you skip breakfast works for you then by all means go for it. For me it can lead to an unsatisfying lunch.