Anyone use Ideal Lean? BCAAs and Meal Replacement? Any Triathletes here?

Options
Anyone use Ideal Lean? BCAAs and Meal Replacement? Any Triathletes here?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ii'm a triathlete - but don't use any of the above - some recent research I saw indicates that BCAA's aren't as helpful as they are touted to be
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ii'm a triathlete - but don't use any of the above - some recent research I saw indicates that BCAA's aren't as helpful as they are touted to be

Depends on the claims. I think he jury is still out on whether or not they help with muscle growth/retention. Definitely not a good source of "energy" during workouts. However, From my own experience, they definitely help with reducing post workout muscle soreness during heavy weight lifting days.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are redundant if your overall protein intake it sufficient.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    LeoT0917 wrote: »

Depends on the claims. I think he jury is still out on whether or not they help with muscle growth/retention. Definitely not a good source of "energy" during workouts. However, From my own experience, they definitely help with reducing post workout muscle soreness during heavy weight lifting days.

i'll have to dig up the article - it was published in journal of exercise physiology I think (or something like that) - results were not statistically significant as to how they helped, but I can't remember all the details

I have anecdotal evidence that they help - but wonder how much of that is placebo vs. actually evidence
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use ideal lean at least three times a day in various applications :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

From the Summary (emphasis mine):

"BCAA supplementation, for people with low dietary protein intake, can promote muscle protein synthesis and increase muscle growth over time. It can also be used to prevent fatigue in novice athletes.

BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more)."