Help.............I have a sugar aholic in the house!!!!

Options
Ok so what do I do?:explode: My boy friend loves his sweets he by excess of everything doughnuts, fun size candies chips you name it anything unhealthy for you!!!!! I lost 20lbs and was doing good but I've been gaining and since the stuff is readily available to me when I want to get into it I go GET INTO IT!!!!! last night in the middle of the night after I had a real good food day .........:frown: I was up eating two chocolate covered doughnuts and washed it down with some chocolate milk!!!! :angry: what do I do help!!!!!!:mad:

Replies

• bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    boy oh boy that is a tough one. My biggest weakness is also sweets so I can't have them around - my resistance goes to zero. He needs to help you out though, by either cutting back on the stuff, or keeping it where you can't find it (or don't know it's there). He can also help himself with healthier eating habits - eventually that junk food diet will catch up with him too!!!! Good luck. B :happy:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Talk to yourself.

It's how I avoid the snack box for my toddler. lol

"You don't need it." "It's useless calories/carbs/fat." "I worked hard for where I am." "Those things MADE me who I don't want to be." "Oh, what's this over here? Watermelon? SWEEEEET."
  • LizabethRose
    Options
    I feel your pain...I have two boys, (well 3 if you count my husband!) who love donuts! We always have powdered sugar and chocolate in the house....and my youngest drinks lots of chocolate milk.....I had to taste this morning when I fixed his...it's so hard not to look at it!! But here is my solution, I specifically saved calories this week for my night time snack....chocolate cherrios!!! I go to bed full, and I've had my dose of chocolate and chocolate milk! They are awesome, God bless the guy who invented chocolate cherrios...LOL!!!
  • chelroxxx
    chelroxxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I am in the same boat... I have a 5 y/o... He doesn't wanna eat salad. he likes chocolate milk and cookies. I dont deprive him because he is not on a diet :) My boyfriend also indulges on whatever he pleases. I try to keep fresh fruit in the house so I have something healthy to snack on. Also, don't deprive yourself of treats. I had taco bell last night and woke up 2 pounds lighter :) If you deprive yourself, you will feel the urge to binge, just remember that you can have whatever you want. It is all about moderation. Good luck and remember when you wake up in the morning, your calorie counter is back at zero :)
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, so I compare the calories in the Chocolate/doughnut/cake/etc to how many minutes/hours of exercise I need to burn it off.... That makes me not even give it a second thought (most days).... There are days I give in and I just start over the next day... Just don't let it get you down if you slip up! Good luck!
  • Grimlock1030
    Options
    DIABETES, I've had eye surgery, because of bleeding in the back of my eyes.
    Kidneys have been damaged. And other problems.

IS THAT SUGAR REALLY WORTH IT. Throw it all away.

If I kept living like that, my doctor told me blindness was right around the corner.

Really? Do you love sweets that much?
  • Grimlock1030
    Options

If I kept living like that, my doctor told me blindness was right around the corner.

• Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, we cannot rely on those around us to remove all of the temptations for us...This is a really hard problem. You can ask your Boyfriend to keep the sweets out of the house,but ultimately your success depends on your ability to resist. Like others have suggested, self talk can be helpful. remind yourself of how far you have come, how far you still want to go, how hard it has been and how much work it will take to work off that sugary snack....also have a plan. When you are craving that sweeet and it is available, what can you do to take your mind off of it? maybe do some situps or push ups until muscle fatigue, maybe eat some fruit...go for a walk. Whatever it is, just make sure it's healthy! Good luck to you!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    My husband brings all kinds of crap into the house. It's hard to resist when it's staring you in the face everytime you open the pantry. You can try to talk with him about it. I did that with my husband, but he doesn't understand that willpower isn't always enough. So... I still have junk in the house, however, he doesn't buy it in excess. You could ask your boyfriend to keep less of it around.

When you're tempted, before you put that donut in your mouth, ask yourself if you're really hungry... Usually, for me, the answer is no. Then, just walk away from it and go do something... anything to get your mind off of it. Learning to have willpower over these foods is difficult. It's something I'm always working on. I often keep a "diety" alternative in the house. I love skinny cow products and dark chocolate with 70-80% cocoa. In the event that the craving doesn't go away, I have a "better" option. Of course the best option would be fruit, but lets get real... That doesn't always work. When I know I'm going to want it later, I'll budget it early in the day so I don't go over calories. Often, all I need is one chocolate chip cookie to get rid of the craving.

I find that moderation works better than deprivation.
  • akcouick
    akcouick Posts: 11
    Options
    talk to him about it... ask him which he would enjoy more?
    the sweets? or a leaner, sexier you?

he might not want to choose, if that is the case, try this...

tell him he can still be supportive of your diet, while still eating whatever he wants... just ask him not to be majorly pigging out right in front of you. And pick a designated cabinet for his snack foods, and put a child safety lock on it. The lock will act as a symbol to your brain telling you you shouldn't be in that cabinet. The choice would still be yours, that is the reason for it being only a child lock and not a padlock. you have to teach yourself to not give in to those impulses. but on your weak days or whenever you want to treat yourself, those items would still be available.
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

This really hit home for me. I am in the prediabetic stage and I have a follow up appointment with my doctor tomorrow to see where my weight and blood sugar counts are at. I have only lost 7lbs since seeing him last (5 months ago!). I am disappointed in myself but I haven't been very strict with whole grains and such lately. I will remember your situation with your eyes when I want to eat a bunch of sugary 'treats'. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. You helped at least one person (me!!!!).

I also have a husband who binges on candy. He will take a bowl full of skittles with him to bed EVERY NIGHT. Thankfully I'm not tempted by the skittles but he will also go on a chocolate kick where he buys candy bars. I am very tempted by candy bars. So, I feel your pain and your temptation. I think "if he can have it, so can I". Ugh. Alcohol is another problem for me. I don't drink a lot but I have sugary stuff when I do. It all adds up. I guess I'm not really helping you since I have problems resisting. I guess I try to drink my bottled water and have a Luna chocolate peanut butter protein bar. Or, have a fun sized candy bar and try to stop at one or two and log it for the day. Good luck hon. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • akcouick
    akcouick Posts: 11
    Options
    my friend is dieting too, and she has lost a ton of weight. she has a husband that brings in lots of junk food. she eats whatever she wants, and I mean anything. she will count the calories, and then she will get on her elliptical and make herself workout till she has burned off that many calories.
  • jjatk33
    jjatk33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One of the best way to help with those sweet tooth cravings is starting to look at your food differently. Instead of looking at food for what it is going to taste like, start thinking of food of what it will do to my body. Sugar and most carbohydrates spike you insulin levels giving you that "sugar" rush or energy rush or whatever you would like to call that satisfying feeling. However as those levels drop off so does your mood, you body begins to think its hungry again because of the low insulin levels and you want to eat AGAIN. When you see that doughnut, cake, candy think about what it will do to you rather than what it will taste like. If the sweetness cravings are still there, try having some of the Medium glycemic index fruits it the house so you can at least get some small amounts of nutrition in those craving moments. Think raspberries, cherries, kiwis, peaches and tangerines. I get it its not chocolate, but it will do something for your body rather than nothing. :smile:
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe have him hide it somewhere he only knows. Out of site out of mind. If u want it that bad u would have to ask him for some so it makes u accountable maybe u wont have any or just one if u have to ask. I also hid my low calorie sugary snacks from him and band him from my skinny cow so I have my replacement when i want it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Ask him to hide it! That's what my mom does, and I don't go digging around in the cabinets!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Talk to yourself.

"You don't need it." "It's useless calories/carbs/fat." "I worked hard for where I am." "Those things MADE me who I don't want to be." "Oh, what's this over here? Watermelon? SWEEEEET."

I like that idea! I find myself doing it sometimes, too. I FORCE myself to be enthused at having fruit vs. a donut, and within a couple of times of doing it, it becomes habit...then after becoming habit, it becomes normal and I don't miss the donuts (and as a former donut-holic, that's saying a lot, haha).

It also forces you to see the things he's eating in a different light. For example, today, my boyfriend took me to Sonic for lunch, since it's the closest place to his work. I kept obnoxiously pointing out that my grilled chicken wrap with light dressing was sooooo good, and that his burger was dripping with grease (I loathe grease...I'm very OCD if I see grease on anything) and that I'd already inputted my nutrition on the wrap here on MFP and was still doing good for the day. He realized when I was right when we parted ways from lunch, when he said he felt like he was pregnant, his stomach was sticking out so much.
  • phyllis45
    phyllis45 Posts: 25
    Options
    Penny5 Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • phyllis45
    Options
    Talk to yourself.

Thank you I like this idea
  • phyllis45
    Options
    WOW!!!!
    All of you guys support and words and advise and encouragement is enough to help me out I wanna print this page and whn I feel tempted read all of your advise and struggles and support then maybe I'll be distracted enough to not want to eat!!!!
    My heart felt thanks I was really beating myself up!!!!
  • thatalchemistgirl
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I've asked my fiance to keep ti in his car (or at work) if he must have it. I mean to be honest, why does he need it in the house?