Heart Rate & Weight loss

Options
Hi all, I have 2 questions. ..

1) I exercise 4-5 times a week, I do Zumba Rush. I started with being able to do 4 songs, now I am up to 8! My question is, my heart rate goes up to 154, but Im NOT out of breath..I do sweat alot..but is not being out of breath a bad thing since my heart rate is high?

2) My other question is, the scale is NOT moving in the right direction!! I measure myself and it seems like I lost 2 inches, which isnt alot at all, but the scale is UP 3 lbs!!!

Any help on these is helpful. Im 44 years old and weight loss is getting harder and harder. When I was in my 20's, the fat melted off, now its a daily struggle..yet, Ive never exercised so much!!!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    154 for heart rate is not too high.
    If your inches are going down, but not the scale, that's ok. Keep doing what your doing and see where it takes you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Question: What are you eating?? Weight loss is mostly what you eat. Good to hear you are toning up though - great work.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    StuDuza wrote: »

1) I exercise 4-5 times a week, I do Zumba Rush. I started with being able to do 4 songs, now I am up to 8! My question is, my heart rate goes up to 154, but Im NOT out of breath..I do sweat alot..but is not being out of breath a bad thing since my heart rate is high?

2) My other question is, the scale is NOT moving in the right direction!! I measure myself and it seems like I lost 2 inches, which isnt alot at all, but the scale is UP 3 lbs!!!

Any help on these is helpful. Im 44 years old and weight loss is getting harder and harder. When I was in my 20's, the fat melted off, now its a daily struggle..yet, Ive never exercised so much!!!

Thanks in advance!
    How are you tracking your heart rate? Are you taking your pulse or using a device. My watch has a heart rate monitor and it's way off compared to my actual pulse. As for weight coming off that has WAY more to do with how many calories you eat then it does how much you exercise. How many calories do you eat a day and what is your current height/weight?

• jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am 30, 5'9", 225 lbs and 154 is a moderate heart rate for me. I can maintain 170 for a long time. 180, and I am sucking wind.....hope this gives perspective.

Unless you have a heart condition where a sustained elevated heart rate creates problems for your cardiopulmonary system, that is expected. It means you are doing it right!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Calculate your max heart rate. It declines as you age. 154 might not be as much as 90% of your max.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a chest strap HRM or one of the better optical sensors (Rhythm+ or Mio, not Fitbit) your heart rate probably isn't really 154.

As you noticed, your breath may be a better way to judge intensity than heart rate, especially depending how it's measured.

You actually don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. All you need is a calorie deficit. Exercise is useful because it burns calories and that can contribute to a deficit, or it can allow you to eat more while maintaining the same deficit. That's why most people focus more on what they eat than what type of exercise they do, for weight loss purposes.
  • StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    StuDuza wrote: »

Thanks in advance!
    How are you tracking your heart rate? Are you taking your pulse or using a device. My watch has a heart rate monitor and it's way off compared to my actual pulse. As for weight coming off that has WAY more to do with how many calories you eat then it does how much you exercise. How many calories do you eat a day and what is your current height/weight?

• StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have my calories set to 1300 daily, but Im usually left with about 500 at the end of the day. I use my watch also for my heart rate. I used to log at 170's, where I was gasping for air, now its at 154ish doing the same routine. But I am out of shape, Im 44 years old and 5 foot nothing. I lose 4 lbs, then in a day or 2, it goes up 3 lbs. ***Sorry about the above, I hit quote and it gave another post***)