Other users that are vegan and/or diabetics?

Options
mjdl94
mjdl94 Posts: 1 Member
I've been eating a plant based diet for a month and a half now. So far, I feel great and overall I am more energetic. I have type 2 diabetes and I recently got my blood work done and eating a plant based diet really improved my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, and A1C. I've also lost weight.
I plan to continue this diet/lifestyle since it's really improving my health. I found this diet to be easy and fulfilling since I don't restrict myself as much anymore and I'm still eating foods that I love i.e. pizza, burgers (meat and dairy free of course). I'm also loving and eating plenty of vegetables and fruits that I never thought I would like.
I have used MFP before but took a long hiatus when I found calorie tracking to be tedious. Don't get me wrong, I love MFP. I lost a lot of weight using this but I just woke up one day and got tired of weighing/measuring every single thing I'm going to eat.
My endocrinologist suggested that I get back into tracking to see how much carbs, protein, and fats I take in daily instead of using MFP to calorie restrict myself (I'm going to retry again without being obsessive about the measurements).
I guess I'm just asking for support and inspiration from other users who are thriving in a vegan lifestyle.

Replies

• staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and just going back to eating a plant based diet. I did it a few years ago and felt great! I have gone off of it and have been eating horribly and not watching my diabetes very closely. I am back on track and would like support and inspiration also. Add me if you would like to!
  • darkecho69
    darkecho69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm diabetic and vegan aswell if you want to add me feel free to I could do with some inspiration to lose weight and get healthier x
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I do try to limit the amount of meat in my diet. I've been finding a new appreciation for a lot of plant-based meals, especially broccoli which I used to hate. But now that I've tried roasted broccoli with garlic I'm hooked, mmm!

Welcome to MFP by the way!
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Plant based here. Not Diabetic , but I have family member that are, and looking to gain more information of what others are doing.
  • freynikita
    freynikita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a juvenile onset diabetic from age 16 I was diagnosed but had symptoms before that. My son preaches the benefits of a plant based diet to me all the time but I have not tried it yet. I haven't found any meat substitutes that I like so far. I would love to add you all and follow your journeys and how the plant based diet works with diabetic needs. I am on an insulin pump currently. Are you all insulin dependent?
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    :eyes: Hello! I was going to post something very similar. My wife is diabetic and we are (mostly) vegetarians, it can be hard to do low-carb as well as vegetarianism, especially when most low-carb blogs are shrines to bacon (god I miss bacon).

Feel free to add me!
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    it can be hard to do low-carb as well as vegetarianism
    My take on plant based diets is about GOOD carbs, not necessarily low carb. When I cut out sugars, fluffy white bread, etc and choose whole grains, beans and lots of veggies, it does wonders for my waist, and my blood sugar. (Diagnosed Type 1 last summer at the age of 48.)

• cowano630
    cowano630 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats to all for healthy eating! I'm an omnivore but also type 1 insulin pump user. I find when I try to eliminate most processed food I need to cut back on my insulin to carbs ratio. If I'm pretty strict about it, I use 1\3 less bolus insulin.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm completely plant-based and always looking for more friends to get yummy meal ideas from! Congratulations on making the switch and working to take your health back :)
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic but I've found good blood sugar control through a proper protein to carb ratio.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and eat only animal products (except coffee and trace amounts of plants in sauces and such). Carbs are usually less than 10g / day and this is working out very well for me.