Dizziness / Black spots

Options
For the past 3 days, I've had dizzy spells when I stand up quickly or move quickly. Well, I'm not sure if I would call it "dizzy" but I've been seeing black spots & this morning, they are considerably bigger black spots. I ran my first 5K last Saturday and felt very weak afterwards but I can't think of anything else I've done differently. I took my blood pressure at the Wal-Mart blood pressure machine last night and my bp was 103/67 with a pulse rate of 79. Is that a safe bp?? I've lost 44 pounds and my bp was around 125/80 with a pulse of 105.

I've been sleeping well around 8 hours a night but since the 5K it seems I cannot get through the day without taking a nap. I have been falling asleep every time I sit still for more than 10 minutes. Did I just overdo it at the 5K Saturday? Other than the black spots & being sleepy, I am feeling very normal. Thought you might have some input. Thanks!

Replies

• Daffydilly
    Daffydilly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

it sounds as if you might be anaemic. It could be simply because you're not getting enough iron in your diet but I'd definitely recommend seeing your doctor and getting a blood count done. Caught early enough you might just need iron tablets but if you leave it too long you could need a transfusion.

Good luck

;-)
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    I think a normal BP is around 120/80 so you are a bit low. I would see a doctor if I were you.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Please go see your doctor.
  • ashleygladue
    Options
    Low blood pressure would make you do that. Since i have lost all this weight i now have postural hypertension & it is about the same thing you are describing!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with dizziness and tiredness, but no black spots. My blood pressure was normal when I was heavy and now that I'm at a healthy weight it tends to run low. 103/67 is not a dangerously low bp but you should see a dr. if you continue to have those symptoms.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Definitely call your doctor. Make sure you're hydrated too! Did you replenish your liquids with water and sports drinks? That can make you feel lousy.

I hope you feel better!
  • keepinup
    keepinup Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely get checked out by a Dr to be safe... but also make sure you're hydrated! I had that problem for a while and it didn't resolve until I started drinking water with electrolytes. Even though I was drinking water I was still dehydrating and the electrolytes seemed to help alot. Hope you feel better soon!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    That happens to me when I don't get enough Iron. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? That's just me personally, but start taking a vitamin with iron in it and see if that helps.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You definitely have symptoms of low blood pressure. What surprises me, with you being in such good shape, is that your pulse rate is so high. Time to see a doctor.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    90/60 is low blood pressure yours is in the normal range but may not be normal for you. Go see your Doctor
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If this is happening when you stand up it's called Orthostatic Hypotension. It is an excessive drop in blood pressure when you stand up. What you should do when this happens is to hold on to something and sit back down. Once you feel ok slowly stand back up. I have this problem and have since I was a teen. Sometimes the dizziness gets so bad I feel like I may vomit and the black spots are just part of the orthostatic hypotension. Try to make sure you are always well hydrated, that helps. My blood pressure will get as low as 88/46 sometimes but as long as I take my time getting up and don't make sudden movements I'm fine until it comes back up. My normal blood pressure is in the low 100's over low 60's. You can look up orthostatic hypotension on the web. Of course if your symptoms are persistant or if they get worse I would say give your Dr a call just to make sure nothing else is going on with your health. Hope this sheds some light on things.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Definitely get checked out by a Dr to be safe... but also make sure you're hydrated! I had that problem for a while and it didn't resolve until I started drinking water with electrolytes. Even though I was drinking water I was still dehydrating and the electrolytes seemed to help alot. Hope you feel better soon!

I love this, posh names aside you needed more salt to aid water retension.
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I typically drink 10-12 glasses of water a day but this week, I've only gotten in 5-7. Maybe it is dehydration. It's been insanely hot here with the heat index over 100 degrees every day. I only drink water - maybe 4 oz. of orange juice a week and milk on my cereal but I really drink lots of water. I'm not taking a multi vitamin so the iron may be an issue, too. I take vitamins B complex, C, D and Royal Jelly. I played softball last night & came home wringing wet. I'm thinking you might be right on the dehydration.

As for visiting a Dr., we are having insurance issues right now and they are refusing to pay anything until it's all settled. So I'm trying to put going to the Dr. as an absolute last resort if I can.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Not being able to go to a doctor sucks. My teenager had that issue, and the doctor had her try eating salty snacks at bedtime. Of course, I wouldn't advise you to do that without talking to your doctor.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I almost didn't read your post I was so busy laughing at your picture :) Awesome.

At your age, that's actually a very healthy BP according to my doctor. But without knowing what it was at this weight before the 5K (on a regular basis) it may not be normal for you? Check it going forward when you can so you do know your norm.

But, like the others said, just try upping the electrolytes, water, and iron to try and help. REally all I can think of. And good luck! Rock out with your bad self running a 5K!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Fastest way to find out if your blood iron levels aren't up to par is to go give blood, have the hematocrit test done (finger prick).

My BP is 92/66 and I was concerned it was too low - consulted with my doctor and it's healthy. Pulse looks a little on the high side, but still within fairly normal ranges.

Another thing to consider is blood glucose level. I do have to fuel with some good carbohydrate after running events or sometimes I get a similar sensation (dizziness).