Injured, bummed, looking for accountability friends.

Options
Hello all,
Recently tore my rotator cuff (2nd time in 5 years) looking at a long rehab and possible surgery. I've been training with a strength/performance focus for the past year which has kept me in decent shape, maybe a little more body fat than I'd prefer. Now that I'm injured I'm turning my focus towards getting leaner, which will tough due to the inability to workout as much as I used to. So I'm looking for some accountability buddies on here so I can keep motivated and ensure my diet is spot on. Also open to suggestions for training with this injury. Right now anything involving shoulders, running or sprinting is out. Thanks

Replies

• theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm doing a way different thing on here, but I'm glad you are getting support during rehab. It can be a giant bummer because we are constantly comparing our current ability to previous performance. I had 3 months of wheelchair to walker to leg dragging and it blew. I was shocked that even I needed support, because I am usually the super positive one who gives it. It is an opportunity to develop mental toughness and create positive mental habits/tricks to combat our tendencies. I'm sending you 2.5 cups of positive vibes and hope you find some people to give you positive nudges. :smiley:
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

My mother had the same problem and surgery on both shoulders. It's painful and it sucks. In her rehabilitation they gave her guidelines of what she can do. Mostly walking and some exercises in the pool, mind ou she is 64 so maybe that limits it too. Ask the rehab team as well as your doctor. It's a horrible process, so I'm sending great vibes. I'd love to help if possible. :)
  • fitflashy
    fitflashy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey add me :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You know a injury is a bad one when people debate which is worse, the injury or the rehab. I started have trouble and think I had a small tear when I was doing an overhead press. I realized I did it when it hurt to throw an apple core over a six foot fence but I never had it looked at. Anyway it has seemed to recovered enough for me to function. When I lift I just do a light Nautilus set to stay in shape, I started walking and gradually transitioned into running. I really enjoy running now and my new exercise routine is running or bicycle rides. As I get older (55) I have come to realize that I am not as flexible and can easily pull something. Recovery also take longer. I don't try to bulk up and just focus on fitness & weight. I hope you recover well and have an opportunity to give running a try.
  • centurion1978
    centurion1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for he positive motivation!
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.
    My trainer was doing abs last Thursday with me. Made me quit and she told me she didn't like the way my abs looked, told me to see a doctor. Friday I'm at my doctor say I have hernias more than one, basically my whole abdominal area is one big one. He tells me it could blow if I put to much stress on it. I see a surgeon on Wednesday. I was crushed at first, then realized it didn't take me out of the the game. Just changed the direction I was headed.
    We all have set backs in or lives we just can't let those define or defeat us. I know you like me will keep heading forwards. Just at a different pace.
  • jason7776
    jason7776 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Look into a Ketogenic diet. Also, you can do treadmill or seated cycle. Find a high school track, or park, and walk a lot. Good luck!
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Happy to.support. Feel free to add me. Rotator cuff tear! Ouch! What about cycling? Mobo adult triton - recumbent bike. I ride and when I was injured I started cycling, and never stopped. Best exercise!
  • centurion1978
    Options
    Keto diet may be the ticket for the next couple of months!
  • centurion1978
    Options
    Cycling was one of the exercises I was thinking about. I'll have to check it out