Strength training other than lifting weights?

Options
Maybe this is a stupid question; I'm just getting started on my fitness journey. What other types of exercise can I do to build muscle other than lift weights? I've tried weight training before at a a gym and at home, and I hate it. HATE. So, obviously, it never lasts. I know that for cardio, there are a million options: running, swimming, dancing, rowing, etc. Are there other options for building muscle?

Just to add, in case it helps: I like doing yoga (although I haven't done it in a long while), I have access to gyms, rock climbing, and a pool. Please help me find an activity that I like so I can be healthy and lose weight!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    To a large extent form follows function - So, if you would like to look like a swimmer - swim*. So, by picking an activity which you enjoy but expert practitioners look good to you, you're probably moving n the right direction.

However, you can so specific strength training without equipment or gyms. A press up is a form of strength training. Programming this type of work is a bit more of a challenge and therefore I recommend something like Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym book or app.

* note that most to level sport people will do supplemental training (cross train) and pro-swimmers will do plenty of supplemental strength work (probably with weights).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Body By you
    You are your own gym
    Convict conditioning
    Angry Trainer fitness (youtube)
    BodyRock
    Zuzka Light

Lots of body weight work that can be done at home to help if you don't want to lift or don't have access to lifting.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    What do you hate about strength training (at a gym or at home)? Is it the discomfort of lifting? The boring monotonousness? The seeming pointlessness of picking something up just to put it back down? I get past all that by focusing on the results; we don't do it because it's enjoyable, we do it because it works.

Muscle is really "expensive" for a body to have and maintain. And our bodies are frugal. If you want to build muscle, you have to need muscle. Lifting heavy things until your muscles reach their breaking points tells your body that it's almost good enough but not quite, and it gets better.

Now that doesn't have to be bars of iron in a gym. You can use body weight, like pushups and dips. Maybe that's better than lifting weights, maybe it's not, it depends what you didn't like. You can also use things like resistance bands, giant rubber bands basically, to mimic traditional weight exercises.

You also need adequate protein to build muscle. It will come very slow if you're at a calorie deficit.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into Callanetics. I haven't tried it myself yet, because I really do love lifting weights and I am not sure my body could handle both types of programs at the same time. There is a website that you can stream modern versions of the workouts along with the originals from the 1980s. The claim is that it builds muscle and strength through small deep muscle contractions.
  • SFarris829
    SFarris829 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered Cardio Kick-Boxing and I love it! You can do it with or without light weights and its high-energy and fun.
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell training. Lauren Brooks has a lot of great resources.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    robyngo14 wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question; I'm just getting started on my fitness journey. What other types of exercise can I do to build muscle other than lift weights? I've tried weight training before at a a gym and at home, and I hate it. HATE. So, obviously, it never lasts. I know that for cardio, there are a million options: running, swimming, dancing, rowing, etc. Are there other options for building muscle?

Just to add, in case it helps: I like doing yoga (although I haven't done it in a long while), I have access to gyms, rock climbing, and a pool. Please help me find an activity that I like so I can be healthy and lose weight!

strength training , building muscle and being "healthy and lose weight" are three different things.

If your goal is to just be "healthy and lose weight" Weight loss comes from your diet. Being healthy comes from finding any activity that gets up moving around each day, regularly, forever . That can be as simple as gardening each evening, taking your dog to agility class a few times a week, nightly walks with the family , dancing at clubs on weekends, join a solftball team, zumba, or as tedious as training to run marathons or lifting weights 4 days in the gym, Or anything in between. Maybe look for clubs in your area that do fun activities, we have dog walking groups, running clubs, baseball clubs. You dont have to lift weights in a gym to be healthy, especially if you hate it. I cut and stack firewood all summer long for winter, and thats my cardio workout during summers.

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A lot of time the things we hate doing are the things we should be doing. ;)

You can try bodyweight training or TRX Suspension Training.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you like yoga, you may like Classical Stretch by Miranda Osmande-White...I DVR her workouts on my local PBS station (if you happen to be in America and your PBS station airs the series). She also offers DVDs.

It's a nice balance of...well, balance, stretch, stretching, and anti-aging. She knows her stuff and has a program that can benefit an athlete and her arthritic 81 year old mother.

I like it because it's free, lots of variety, it's only 30 minutes long and does not get me sweaty before the work day.
  • robyngo14
    robyngo14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

It's the monotony I hate. Lifting a weight up to my shoulder 12 times, then repeat, etc. Because it bores me, I'm acutely aware of how uncomfortable I am, and the whole time, I'm just counting down the seconds until I'm done. On the other hand, I have a hard time getting started doing a yoga session, but once I start, I have fun.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TRX suspension training for strength, stability, core, and flexibility, and gives a good dose of cardio too depending on your routine. Lots of variety.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises, TRX, and kettlebells are all good options. The Naked Warrior (body weight) and Simple and Sinister (Kettlebells) are good places to start.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    It's the monotony I hate. Lifting a weight up to my shoulder 12 times, then repeat, etc. Because it bores me, I'm acutely aware of how uncomfortable I am, and the whole time, I'm just counting down the seconds until I'm done. On the other hand, I have a hard time getting started doing a yoga session, but once I start, I have fun.
    But running, rowing, etc. are REPETITIVE movements over long periods of time. How is this not monotony? Because it's not as difficult to do for you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Have you tried Pilates?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Listen to podcasts or audiobooks while you lift?

IDK. I don't really love lifting either and something is going on with my hands where I'm losing my grip strength something fierce. I'm at the point where I want to seek out alternatives to my current routine myself due to this. It's very frustrating.

I do have resistance bands, I might go back to using them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm using fit tubes.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    "ninerbuff wrote: »
    But running, rowing, etc. are REPETITIVE movements over long periods of time. How is this not monotony? Because it's not as difficult to do for you?

I was thinking the same thing...

• hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You could also try fitness workout videos that combine cardio and weight training at the same time. I have been doing The Firm workouts since December with great results. They are definitely not boring, as they change things up every few minutes or so.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells - cardio and strength in one.

Lots of women take classes at my gym (men too) I find it more interesting then free weights. I like that I can use them at home and they are quick and easy to use.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But there is a big difference, for me at least. With walking and running you can zone out, think about stuff, take in the scenery, get lost in an audiobook...etc. The feeling of being nearly out of breath and the world going by is exhilarating. With lifting you need to be focused on that monotony not to break a good form so every minute of it feels longer and folds more boring to me. It's hard to explain.

OP try kettlebells. I can't due to back issues, but they look fun. If you enjoy yoga you might also enjoy body weight exercises. You mentioned having access to rock climbing. That could also provide enough load to challenge your muscles, not as much as lifting but enough to maintain what you have or even increase your strength if you are a newbie or if you introduce more challenging moves and slower pace, and it's FUN! If I had access to rock climbing that would be my choice for a good strength/cardio combination that involves a mental as well as a physical challenge. Rock climbers generally look nice and the nature of their activity has them maintaining proper strength and body weight because if they gain weight they feel it right away.