weight related arthritis

Options
2»

Replies

• queensvegan
    queensvegan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have knee pain arthritis. Unfortunately I had to stop running. It was more important for me not to have bilateral knee replacements than enjoy a good run, even though I LOVED running. It's not worth it for me. Now I do the elliptical or take a dance class. i also take strength classes and try to avoid plyometric exercises.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. Check what kind of Arthritis you have there are several and the require different treatment
    2. See a physiopherapist. There are excercises you can do to help with the pain and mobility.
    3. There are medications you can take which can help dependant on which type of Arthritis you have.
    4. There are some foods that seem to irritate the inflamation so again check this out in regard to which Arthritis you have.

I have Osteo Arthritis in my hips and knees. Also known as the "good" Arthritis as it responds well to treatment.

I presented with excruciating pain under my knee caps when trying to get up or down stairs and in and out of chairs. Also pain in my hips when walking or standing. My first doctor was somewhat dismissive and just said at your age (60) it is just wear and tear. I went back to see another doctor and he sent me for x-rays to make sure I did not have a different underlying cause to the pain.

Then he put me on medication for the inflammation and some heavy duty painkillers. He arranged for me to see a physiotherapist who was really informative and explained how the wearing cartilage causes the pain and how to exercise to keep and improve my mobility (most people stop exercising because it hurts). I can't do load bearing exercise like running but I can walk, swim, lift weights, do resistance exercise, yoga, pilates etc. All within my range of movement and pain threshold of course.

So don't just accept that this is it and you are not going to be able to make changes you can.

The best thing you can do for you joints is lose weight though, even a few pounds can make a difference. You should not rule out the one thing that could make you healthier. Perhaps you could see a professional nutritionist/therapist to help you with your eating problems if you really want to make a difference. Taking the weight off your joints would really help you.

Good luck and please feel free to message me if I can help in anyway I am more than happy to. I am being pro-active with my Osteoarthritis and am not going to let it stop me enjoying what is left of my life.

ETA: I have reduced my meds to one tablet a day and the heavy duty stuff to the odd day when the pain gets really bad. I have lost 7 pounds and can walk for 4 or5 miles before I am in any discomfort. I am aiming to go on a walking holiday in the summer :)
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Definitely switch to a low impact workout. And maybe you've just injured your knee and it needs a few to recuperate? I've had bad knees for years and mine like to remind me that they're there every once in a while and I have to slow down for a couple of days to let them heal.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Just another thought: running can be very hard on the knees, especially if you're carrying extra pounds. Walking is a nice workout that is easier on the joints.

Also, after you've recovered from this flare up, weight lifting to strengthen the muscles that support your joints could be helpful.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For every one pound of weight that you lose, you take 4 pounds of pressure off your joints, so it is worth even losing 10 lbs. I too suffered from weight related arthritis, and in November had a knee replacement, but not before I had lost over 100 lbs. My doc was pretty pleased, and of course, I was over the moon!

Your doctor, the one that says dont eat apples and bananas, is a whack job.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Plus he also forbade me from eating banana pre workout as he says thats the reason why i am not losing any weight also apples are fattening too according to him. I fear i will pass out if i don't have a fruit before my run/walk.

That has to be some of the most ridiculous advice I've heard from a GP!! A banana or apple before you work out will not stop you maintaining or losing weight, it's the amount of calories you eat per day total that makes the difference, if you want to eat a banana or apple, all you need to do is make it fit your calories. Either way it's only around 100 calories.

Hehe he's kind of an ayurvedic doctor or something. But the common belief here is(and I have consulted with a couple of doctors with normal MBBS degree) avoid banana if you wanna slim down. And the said gp told me once only cops eat bananas to bulk up to beat up thugs in jail :#:D

This is pure nonsense. Even real physicians sometimes skimp on learning about nutrition, but to repeat old wives' tales as if they were serious facts is absurd.

No, bananas won't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.
  • hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Reading these has been very helpful to me. I have been diagnosed with "pretty severe" arthritis in my knees. I am 42 so the doctor was very surprised but I have been obeese for most of my life, and have worked many jobs on my feet which probably contributed. I have lost about 75lbs so far and I am definitely noticing less pain in my knees. I have lost most of the weight without intentional excercise. I am working on incorporating that into my routine now. I am starting with walking and trying to get some strength training in. My goal is to feel and move like a 32 year old! :) Good luck.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40lbs so far without going to the gym at all (this took 6 months). I also did not up my activity (just my normal walks and hikes). I also have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, in many places, including my knees. This has pained me for 3 years, since I was 28. It DOES get better when you lose weight. The pain is NOT as bad, sometimes it's not even there.

Do you also have diabetes or are pre-diabetic? I was and was also told to avoid more than one serving of those fruits. And grapes. I don't really like fruit, anyway, so it was easy.

Try swimming, walking, and yoga- at least get lots of stretching. In my experience, I am much more comfortable exercising on a hard floor than a machine. You can do stretches, weights, and sit-ups, and lots of other things, and your back and joints (at least mine) feel great afterward.