Low on iron

Options
Do many of you take additional supplements to keep everything topped up or do you depend just on your diet alone. I read supplements are a waste of money

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I take supplements just to be sure.

For most people supplements are a waste of money because they get everything they need from their diet, but if your diet is restricted in any way or if you have other issues (for example, I tend towards anaemia and living in the UK I can't manufacture Vitamin D for half the year) then they may be useful.
  • Macrotracker34
    Macrotracker34 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That makes sense
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Steer clear of iron supplements unless they are PRESCRIBED. The typical dosages you see in the store are very high (like 360%). Multivitamins will have iron only when they have a child proof cap......high doses of iron can be dangerous.

Also keep in mind that iron is not going to be listed for every food in MFP. I would enter iron because this is something I track. But many people just skip over the micro-nutrients.

That said - http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods

Too much calcium.....iron doesn't get absorbed well. Vitamin C will help with iron absorption.

If you want a test of your iron levels, give blood.....they will check your hematocrit. If you have low iron levels, they won't let you donate.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin but that's about it
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Just like @TeaBea said, don't take iron unless you KNOW you're deficient. Ask your Dr to check iron levels. I got my iron checked, I was low so I supplement every couple of days.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Flintstone Chewable Vitamins with Iron :)

I just had a c-section and my doctor recommended switching off my Prenatal gummies because I needed the additional iron that gummies don't have. My hemoglobin and iron levels were low so I take my kids Flintstone vitamins. We'll see at my next checkup if it helped
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Two bowls of cheerios will give you all the iron you need for the day. Many other vegetables will too. I usually just eat a big bowl of fortified cereal in the morning and I'm good for iron.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It depends on how low your low is. I was severely low (I needed 3 iron transfusions) and was told by my oncologist that nothing I could eat or take would help. When I was slightly anemic I was told to eat iron rich foods -- but you have to watch out what you eat with them.
    Iron rich meats (like beef or some organ meats) on a cast iron skillet, spinach, iron enriched cereals, etc. Vitamin C has been thought to help with the absorption or at least negate the sometimes unpleasant side effects of a lot of iron (especially supplements) but I never noticed a difference with or without. You want to avoid milk for a time before/after because it hinders the absorption of iron.
    Supplements aren't bad it's a direct way, but again woo side effects. I'd check with your Dr to see what they say on direct supplements as intake of too much iron can have dire consequences.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Steer clear of iron supplements unless they are PRESCRIBED. The typical dosages you see in the store are very high (like 360%). Multivitamins will have iron only when they have a child proof cap......high doses of iron can be dangerous.

Also keep in mind that iron is not going to be listed for every food in MFP. I would enter iron because this is something I track. But many people just skip over the micro-nutrients.

Too much calcium.....iron doesn't get absorbed well. Vitamin C will help with iron absorption.

If you want a test of your iron levels, give blood.....they will check your hematocrit. If you have low iron levels, they won't let you donate.

Really??? All the iron supplements I have found don't have nearly the prescription amount I'm supposed to be on (so I have to take more than one a day).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada the iron supplements are kept behind the counter so that the pharmacist can have a discussion first. Iron can be overdone. I am congenitally low in iron so I get the behind-the-counter pills.

I achieved an important victory last month. I was able to give blood as my iron was high enough!
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm anemic so I have to take iron. If you don't have a major iron deficiency probably just taking a multivitamin would suffice. If you do have to take iron by itself I would suggest the slow release pills...they will save you from a giant stomachache!
  • CealR
    CealR Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I saw someone else recommend Cheerios, so I'll throw in another fortified cereal option - Cream of Wheat. One serving is about 110 calories and 50% of your daily iron needs, which makes it a lot easier to make up the other half with what you normally eat. I also find that using a fortified cereal is easier on my stomach than an iron supplement.
  • TeaBea
    edited March 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Really??? All the iron supplements I have found don't have nearly the prescription amount I'm supposed to be on (so I have to take more than one a day).

My Dr. prescribed iron (years ago) - yes, I remember the prescribed doses were high. When I went shopping for iron I found

Nature Made 65 mg. The "normal" daily recommended for women is only between 8-18 mg (it varies by age).
    Spring Valley had 65 mg. as well

I take a multivitamin now - Centrum for Women has 7.5 mg

https://www.centrum.ca/learn/a-to-zinc-library/minerals/iron
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a little lower (in my blood, not my diet), so I take a prenatal vitamin that has iron. Prenatals tend to have a bit more than regular multis, without having a TON to worry about.

I don't supplement unless I'm deficient. I take vitamin D because I live too far north to make it most of the year, and I take the iron because I give blood and am female. Supplements aren't bad if taken for your specific situation. They're just often a waste of money, as they're not magic and often unneeded.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I take b12, calcium, & d3 regularly under direction of my doctor. When my iron levels get too low, she subs in some iron pills. If you aren't deficit or near deficit in something, no point in spending money on supplements.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Do many of you take additional supplements to keep everything topped up or do you depend just on your diet alone. I read supplements are a waste of money

I consider vitamins and nutrient supplements different from the 'fat loss' and 'energy booster' line of products.

I do take a daily mutlivitamin and an over the counter iron tablet.

Ps-my reasons for taking iron are that I was borderline anemic during my pregnancies, and regularly test low for iron. (Not able to donate blood due to low iron.) The dosage I take is 65mg. Its more than the daily recommended 'dose' but the body also does not absorb all the iron it ingests...
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Depending on your diet and health needs. I take a multivitamin and doesn't include iron but I know I get plenty in my diet. You can get plenty of iron easily in foods. Cereals, beans, dark green leafy veggies, breads and pasta, seafood, poultry, red meat and pork..etc
  • TeaBea
    Options
    CealR wrote: »
    I saw someone else recommend Cheerios, so I'll throw in another fortified cereal option - Cream of Wheat. One serving is about 110 calories and 50% of your daily iron needs, which makes it a lot easier to make up the other half with what you normally eat. I also find that using a fortified cereal is easier on my stomach than an iron supplement.

Along these lines..........

Grape Nuts cereal has excellent iron numbers as well - 45% for 1/4 cup. It gives a nutty crunch to salads.
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel slight anemia some months. I eat spinach regular but probably not getting enough iron some months.I don't eat much meat really, I've cut back on dairy and don't eat fortified cereal as much as I used to. However I might look into those grape nuts, like the sound of those
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Usually before monthly visit from M Nature (sorry guys) lol