Substitutes for creamer

Options
I am the type of person that cannot function without my coffee every morning but as I'm trying to change my eating habits I need to find a good sub for my creamer. I usually do Coffee mate flavored but as we know that's a ton of sugar.

What do my fellow coffee drinkers use??

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk.
    You could try sugar-free flavoured creamers. You could try milk + sugar free flavoured syrups. Or you could get used to the actual taste of coffee. ;) Cut back slowly - see what happens if you use half of what you do now.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If it's just the caffeine you need, then you can replace coffee entirely with some other source of caffeine.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee. But, my husband keeps an IV of it going every morning. :D

He replaced his old creamer with half and half and then adds in the tiniest splash of vanilla extract. (You can also find other extracts/flavorings, especially online). I use peppermint extract in my protein shakes. I have found these are a good way to get a flavor punch without all the extra sugar/calories from a traditional creamer.
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I switched to half & half and add a little cinnamon.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I used to love the flavored creamers, but gradually changed over to black coffee. I prefer flavored coffees over plain.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I also changed to black coffee. Have to upgrade to decent coffee though.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I just went through this myself. I have a Keurig and get flavored coffee cups, have 3 mini moo's and 2 tspns of sugar. I can't stand artificial sweetener in my coffee (I've tried them all), so I do use sugar. I went from over 200 calories using a ton of the flavored creamers to only 60 per cup using mini moo's and sugar. I can live with that!
  • Ang_from_Colorado
    Ang_from_Colorado Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just went through this myself. I have a Keurig and get flavored coffee cups, have 3 mini moo's and 2 tspns of sugar. I can't stand artificial sweetener in my coffee (I've tried them all), so I do use sugar. I went from over 200 calories using a ton of the flavored creamers to only 60 per cup using mini moo's and sugar. I can live with that!

I am the same way with the sugar part. I've tried every sugar substitute and don't like any so I just stick with real sugar. Plus, it's really the only sugar I have throughout the day. What are mini moo's?
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Mini moo's are tiny 10 calorie tubs of half and half :) I use 3 of them so my coffee is lighter and creamier, but of course, not as light and creamy as when I was using flavored creamer by the 1/4 cupful!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If I'm having to be super strict on calories, I'll just drink it black. Right now I don't have a super aggressive goal so I make it work with 2 1/2 tsp of flavored creamer between 2 (large) cups of coffee. About 88 calories. I keep green tea and herbal teas on hand too, no calories with those.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Milk + 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I still use coffee mate and measure a tablespoon every time and it fits well into my calorie goal and I've lost weight. I was amazed how tasty my coffee was with just one serving of creamer.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been using califia better half (a coconut/almond creamer). It adds just a bit of creaminess. I also will add cinnamon or vanilla extract. I drink my 2 cups of morning coffee black but I add the cream to my afternoon coffee or tea
  • lavoiekr
    lavoiekr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have started using Almond Milk the non-sweatened and it taste great.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    plain coffee or just a little heavy cream - cream is high calorie, but it doesn't take much to make coffee taste yum
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you have milk where you live? If yes, use milk :smile:
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I use 2% or whole milk and a little sugar. Creamers are surprisingly high in sodium so I cut them out to limit sodium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never used the flavored creamers because I want to namely enjoy the flavor of the coffee. I used to use 1/2 and 1/2 and still do on occasion...when I was trying to cut back, I switched to a splash of 1% milk. I usually take my coffee black these days though...really good quality coffee really doesn't need anything.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Real half-and-half. Calories for the amount you use in coffee are very small, and it's much tastier than the artificial crap.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've tried the sugar-free creamers and they taste like crap. I don't like the flavored syrups either, so I have just decided that I have to make do with less. I measure one TB in my coffee. That's all I get.