Losing weight - depression and epilepsy

Options
I currently suffer from depression and epilepsy. The side effects of the epilepsy meds include weight gain and I recently put on 7kg after losing weight about 1.5 years ago. The depression isn't helping either as I often have been snacking when feeling low. Today starts the day of new anti-depressant meds as the previous ones weren't working in my view as the mood swings were still bad.

What can I do relieve my low moods and avoid snacking as I really need to lose weight? I have started to walk more and found that helps a bit when I feel stressed. But are there other things that I can do too? I had congenital heart disease and have an artificial aortic valve so I don't want things to get worse again. Obviously there's nothing I can do about the epilepsy meds.

Replies

• iamlucky86
    iamlucky86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry O should have pit that my epilepsy meds are sodium Valproate and Zonisamide as useful info.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about the weight gain with the epilepsy meds. They might be able to give you more advice about how it causes the weight gain and how to avoid it.

Walking is a great option, getting outside in the sunshine on nice days always perks my mood a bit. Do you have any exercise restrictions due to the heart issues?

Have you tried any meditation?
  • iamlucky86
    iamlucky86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was discharged from the care of my heart physician a long time ago but I didn't do aerobic exercises or really pushed myself for fear of triggering seizures. Tiredness and illness seems to trigger them off.

I haven't tried meditation but I'll give it a go now that you mentioned it.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Keto is really good for controlling epilepsy, and also works well for depression. I used to be all over the place with my moods, but I'm much better on Keto.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Keto is really good for controlling epilepsy, and also works well for depression. I used to be all over the place with my moods, but I'm much better on Keto.

Agreed - this is something OP should talk to their doctor about.

Keto has been prescribed for epilepsy for over 100 years. It's very effective at controlling some types of seizures.