Anyone have PCOS? Help!

Options
yablomx10
yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
Hello,

It had been suggested to my by an endocrinologist and my PCP that I may have PCOS. Once they explained it, it made sense. I've had all the symptoms in my life. Got my first period at 11, incredibly irregular and heavy, unwanted hair, acne, and weight gained carried in the middle. I was out on BC at age 12 and have been on it ever since and I am currently 25. I have been back and forth to my OBGYN recently for my annual check and I asked about the PCOS. She did blood work which all came back ok but she said it should as the birth control would regulate my hormones. I discussed how I cannot lose weight no matter how hard I try (diet and exercise combined) and she said I could go off my BC for a period of maybe 6 months and retest my blood. I'm concerned because my acne is finally under control and I don't want to go off my BC just for it to come back with a vengeance. The OBGYN also noted cervical erosion which she recommended I have chemically cauterized with silver nitrate. I did that last week and when she was doing the procedure she indicated that I had a lot of inflammation. She says she suspects that something could be going on in my uterus to cause the erosion and or inflammation. Do you think this could be PCOS related? And can I request my OBGYN just do an ultrasound to look for cysts instead of wait months and go off of my BC? Anyone else have a similar situation - PCOS related or otherwise- and have any suggestions?

Replies

• Boldilocks
    Boldilocks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would ask for the ultrasound. You mightn't have any cysts right now because your hormones are regulated - they come and go. But at least it can be done right away. I would be more worried about endometriosis with all that inflammation - did she mention that?
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have pcos diagnosed at 14 now 25. I've recently found low gi has really helped me (apparently the testosterone which causes acne, hair growth etc is testosterone based and triggered by excesses of insulin so controlling blood sugars apparently helps) feel free to add me and ask any questions and I'll try to help.
  • astaa514
    astaa514 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If it's helping, I wouldn't get off of bc. When I did, I didn't have my period for I think 4 months ( which was nice but worrisome). Do the ultrasound. I'm also doing the metformin to help w insulin. I heard it can help you lose weight too.
  • yablomx10
    yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these answers! I am going to request the ultrasound. She did not mention anything about endometriosis. I'm also a little concerned because my mother had uterine cancer when she was in her mid 20s so when she said she suspected "something might be going on" in my uterus, I became more worried than maybe I should. Going off of bc just makes me nervous all around- especially since I've worked so hard getting my acne under control. Sounds vain of me to say that, but struggling with acne as an adult is tough.
  • maurao1
    maurao1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the ultrasound! I'm 25 also and recently diagnosed with pcos. All sorts of blood tests and nothing was certain until they did the ultrasound.... now my obgyn says I should definitely not go off birth control as it can make everything worse!