Calories burned in intense boot camp class

Options
Hi,
Thought many of you would have a good idea. I do a 1 hour bootcamp class (very intense- not for beginners). We do an intense warm up of jumping jacks, high knees, burpees, etc.
Then follow with interval style and "chabata" where we give it our all for 45-90 seconds and then rest for 20 seconds..... lots of mountain climbers, burpees, star jump, squats with weights, etc.

Anyways, I have been logging 450 calories burned (hoping that I'm under calculating and not over calculating). Is this about right??

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That would be high for me - but since you've given no details about yourself it would be hard to say. Maybe yes, maybe no.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's really impossible to say for sure, but that's sounds like a reasonable number, depending on your weight.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As a short female I count 300 calories for 50 minutes of cross-fit. If I run steadily for 50 minutes, that's around 400, according to my fitness tracker. No idea how close that is though. Just guessing.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What's your weight? The intensity may be similar to jogging or running. From my epxerience in the threadmill (the reference weight is like 155 lbs) a person of 155lbs jogging at 5mph would burn more than 500 cals. per hour, and running at 6mph can burn more than 600 cal. So most probably you aren't overcalculating.

If you can measure your average heart rate in your cardio training, you can compare it to your heart rates jogging and running, the strenght training should be calculated apart and added.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I have been logging 450 calories burned (hoping that I'm under calculating and not over calculating). Is this about right??

Log it as Circuit Training - General

450 sounds a bit high to me tbh, but there is no reliable way to measure.
  • Islander4Life
    Islander4Life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input. I gained a lb last week (my first full week of MFP) so maybe that's where the problem lies. I'll reduce my workout calories to 300 instead and see if that helps.

thanks!
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah circuit training is more accurate. But I don't think is that low, in my experience an hour of jogging is more than 500 calories. I mean I've lost weight accurately to the calorie references of my fitness pal and the intensity of your boot camp sounds more than jogging.

Also it might be water weight, be sure to weight yourself at the same hour with empty stomach, in a day your weight can vary more than 8 lbs because of the food and water.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Oh yeah circuit training is more accurate. But I don't think is that low, in my experience an hour of jogging is more than 500 calories. I mean I've lost weight accurately to the calorie references of my fitness pal and the intensity of your boot camp sounds more than jogging.

It's a question of mass and distance. Running at 5mph is pretty slow but in a circuit class you're not moving your body mass through that distance.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Circuit general for an hour comes up to be burning 900+ calories when I log mine. Of course I don't use those or go by that.
    I think 400 is reasonable because you're constantly going for 55 min and especially giving your all! That sounds more like a basketball game to me ;) .
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Circuit general for an hour comes up to be burning 900+ calories when I log mine. Of course I don't use those or go by that.

That would suggest that you're at least twice my bodyweight. Impressive if you're sustaining that level of effort for an hour.

fwiw in an hour of running I can burn 700-800 calories, in an hour of circuit training I'll get a forecast of 400. My circuits are plyometrics, so applying a little intelligence to that session it's easy to see that I'm not expending a constant level of effort throughout. For several of the exercises I'm not moving my full bodyweight; kettlebell swings, squat, clean & press, battle ropes, and for those that I am it's not significant distances; squat jumps, pull ups etc.

Personally for my Plyo circuit I'll estimate about 100 calories per round, and generally 3 rounds in an hour, plus 10 minutes of running to warm up.