Does not eating breakfast affect weightloss?

Options
I never eat breakfast nor have I ever. Is this killing weight loss by not eating first thing in the morning? I drink a bottle of water and have a cup of coffee right after I wake up (7am), continue to drink water, and I'm just not hungry until noon. I would love some insight on this, thanks!

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No. Mean timing won't mean a thing. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals has no impact on weight loss.

Adhering to appropriate calorie intake creates weight loss.

Timing of meals can have impact on ease of adherance to appropriate calorie intake.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Many people do the same as you, including me. I'm losing weight just fine. The ONLY thing required for weight loss is to ingest fewer calories than your body uses.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if by not eating you end up binging over your calorie goal later. Everyone is different and eating in the morning effects them differently. I eat breakfast but not until about 5-6 hours after I get up.
  • ReneeSalz85
    ReneeSalz85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amazing, thanks so much! I am jumping back into this and I've learned a lot from these forums, and found out what I thought was legit isn't. I'm overly sure on what I've been doing wrong and why I haven't been losing. Thanks again!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    No.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I guess I will be in the minority on this one. The reason you are not hungry until noon is because your metabolism is still slower from being asleep. If you were to eat something within an hour of waking, you may get hungry sooner, but that is because your metabolism has sped up. In my younger years it did not seem to matter as much. I would honestly ask a dietician this question. Our wellness department at work brings nutrition and fitness experts in to speak frequently. All of them eat something for breakfast, usually oatmeal or something with protein. Try it for two weeks, see if you lose anything. What would it hurt other than you may be hungrier at lunch time?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't breakfast. I eat only about 250 cals for lunch. I eat the bulk of my cals between 5 and 8pm. Makes no difference.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Only if by not eating you end up binging
    This.

There are many studies in animals and humans but CICO is what affects weight. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2014/06/04/ajcn.114.089573.abstract
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    leadagent1 wrote: »
    I guess I will be in the minority on this one. The reason you are not hungry until noon is because your metabolism is still slower from being asleep. If you were to eat something within an hour of waking, you may get hungry sooner, but that is because your metabolism has sped up. In my younger years it did not seem to matter as much. I would honestly ask a dietician this question. Our wellness department at work brings nutrition and fitness experts in to speak frequently. All of them eat something for breakfast, usually oatmeal or something with protein. Try it for two weeks, see if you lose anything. What would it hurt other than you may be hungrier at lunch time?

I don't eat when I wake up. I don't eat til 12/1....but I always wake up hungry. It's ignorable unless I eat, then all I can think about is being hungry. (I'm studying nutrition/dietetics.... Shall I ask myself?)
  • 1234newman
    1234newman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Over the years of caring for a family before rushing to work (coffee exclusively for me) and not feeling like the regular meal that I made for others after work, I ended up eating calorie dense convenience foods, eg dairy products, cheese and anything on bread, and then eating something larger late in the evening. I stacked on weight over the years, a little bit at a time to final obesity.

If not eating in the am or at other times is linked to a plan and control, such as MFP, then fine. I was forever rushing and didn't have time to care for myself, or for MFP. I would do it differently but no second goes.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I find that when I do eat something in the morning, I have insatiable hunger all day long. If I wait to eat until 2 pm, my hunger is completely under control. It's been working great for me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight and succeeding, keep doing what you're doing. If you're not, mix it up -- breakfast or otherwise.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I tend to have brunch on the weekends, but most days I wake up hungry and ready to eat. I'd love to skip breakfast, that means a bigger dinner :wink: