Wait? Am I Really Eating That?

Options
Before I started on my journey, I would say that I didn't know why I had such issues with weight because I "...didn't eat much." I always thought I was some sort of big exception to the rules.

I was wrong.

Once I really started looking, I had to realize just what I was putting into my body. While I didn't eat much quantity wise, the foods I did eat added up quickly in terms of calories. Because I favored foods greasy and friend (raised on them!) I was getting a lot more calories than I had ever guessed. Plus, my love of Dr Pepper certainly wasn't helping matters.

So, being aware helped me to fix those trouble areas in my diet. Anyone else have the same issue? Was anyone else shocked by what they were actually eating?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @lucypstacy
    Welcome to MFP. I found using a food scale with a tare button is invaluable in my weight management journey
    I can not "eyeball" portions. I ended up eating almost twice the calories I had eyeballed. And then I was wondering why my weight kept increasing. :o
    Utilizing a food scale can be an unpleasant surprise. I can not eat as much peanut butter like I used.
    I love pasta, well my individual portion is now 2 oz dry.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Not overly, except things like dips and sauces really surprised me. The amount of fat in some!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I was gaining weight, I didn't believe I was eating as much as I was. I just wasn't conscious of it. But when I got close to 200, I *realized* just how big my portions were.
    I now have 3 food scales in my house so I have no excuse not to use one. Best thing I ever invested in.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Muffins. They're like delicious cakey TARDIS's for calories.

There's a fancy supermarket here that sells amazing muffins.... They are stuffed full of choc and raspberries or blueberries... Delicious Crusty tops, soft fluffy middles and nearly the size of my head. No nutritional info, but I'd hate to imagine - I think even sharing would put me over my cals for a day :s
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I logged a mince pie.

HoHoHo-No!

No wonder Santa is fat.

:D:D:D:D
  • BlackCoffeeBabe
    BlackCoffeeBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely tend to overestimate my calories when I don't log!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat much, but a lot of high calorie things too.

Amusingly... I did the math since and I was maintaining my 205lbs eating less than I eat now to maintain my 140lbs... but I would be hungry all the time with my old diet! Activity is everything.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

There's a fancy supermarket here that sells amazing muffins.... They are stuffed full of choc and raspberries or blueberries... Delicious Crusty tops, soft fluffy middles and nearly the size of my head. No nutritional info, but I'd hate to imagine - I think even sharing would put me over my cals for a day :s

HA! I small lemon poppyseed muffin from the gas station near me has ***680*** calories. I could easily eat 3 for breakfast... more calories than my whole day should have.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For years I attributed the slow but steady weight gain to menopause. I would halfheartedly track on MFP but didn't seem to get anywhere - in fact, gained!!!
    Then, in January of this year, I got fed up with myself and started weighing, measuring, and seriously logging food and beverages. HOLY CRAP - no wonder the weight was creeping on. The food was healthy but it was the quantities. And the wine. And the mindless munching. And so on!

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Back when I was doing Weight Watchers, I was told to use 'each oz of muffin=100 calories' as a rule of thumb. Most of those huge muffins? 6-8 oz minimum.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Back when I was doing Weight Watchers, I was told to use 'each oz of muffin=100 calories' as a rule of thumb. Most of those huge muffins? 6-8 oz minimum.

These would be 12-15 oz on guesstimation :'( hence why I don't eat them...
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware how many calories are in coffee drinks from Starbucks. I didn't realize how much those drinks were setting me back.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Logging really made me realize what foods were just not worth the calories to me. Pre-packaged baked goods/cookies, creamy sauces and soups, fast food, etc. When I really looked at the calorie count, I decided I didn't really like these things enough to continue mindlessly eating them. I was shocked by the calories in most bread and pasta though. But I still eat both...gotta have my sandwiches and no way I'm giving up pasta.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Logging really made me realize what foods were just not worth the calories to me. Pre-packaged baked goods/cookies, creamy sauces and soups, fast food, etc. When I really looked at the calorie count, I decided I didn't really like these things enough to continue mindlessly eating them. I was shocked by the calories in most bread and pasta though. But I still eat both...gotta have my sandwiches and no way I'm giving up pasta.

I so agree with this - Cereal, packaged sweets (most of the time), soda... I used to drink a bottle of coke every day, now I have a few sips maybe once a week? Fast food (even the "healthier" kinds) makes me feel terrible now!

I definitely still have pasta though... but I try to go whole grain, so at least I'm getting some of the nutrients!
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options

That is a great rule! I'm going to have to start using that if I get a muffin from a local bakery. I stay away from the muffins the size of my head, and generally only eat 1/2 muffin in a sitting, so I can usually squeeze it in for the day if I REALLY want one. :smiley:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've been at this a long time, and sometimes it still shocks me how many calories I end up eating in junk food if I sit down with a box of cookies or bag of chips.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    Before I started on my journey, I would say that I didn't know why I had such issues with weight because I "...didn't eat much." I always thought I was some sort of big exception to the rules.

I was wrong.

Once I really started looking, I had to realize just what I was putting into my body. While I didn't eat much quantity wise, the foods I did eat added up quickly in terms of calories. Because I favored foods greasy and friend (raised on them!) I was getting a lot more calories than I had ever guessed. Plus, my love of Dr Pepper certainly wasn't helping matters.

So, being aware helped me to fix those trouble areas in my diet. Anyone else have the same issue? Was anyone else shocked by what they were actually eating?

I think you just described 90 percent of the population