Appetite Suppression

Options
Is there a product that helps with appetite suppression, without causing the jitters?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A healthy appetite is good. Eat enough and food you like, and you'll be fine.
  • CarlaTurc
    CarlaTurc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is there anything over the counter that works. Just short term, not looking for anything long term. Thought it might help me with getting started.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    CarlaTurc wrote: »
    Is there a product that helps with appetite suppression, without causing the jitters?
    @CarlaTurc
    almonds .. or most any fat and protein combo is great as it satiates the body. Have you considered trying that route first? Far less costly and really does help with appetite. No side effects except feeling healthier. :+1: Plus it's quite tasty!!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So reduce calories gradually so your appetite naturally down regulates and the hunger is easier for you to manage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Moderate exercise like walking suppresses my appetite a bit.

Being sufficiently hydrated and hitting my daily fiber goal helps as well. I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    There is no such product.

What you can do is experiment with what you eat and when to see if a different combo helps. For example, I make sure to eat enough protein with breakfast. If I don't, I'm hungrier all day. Some things that might help are to bump up your percentage of calories from protein and fat a bit and increase your fiber intake. I also drink large cups of hot tea between meals to keep my mouth busy.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Are you in Canada? If so you can go to any GNC and buy ephedrine tablets. I take 24mg b/d with 200mg caffeine and it's pretty decent.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Caffeine. But I'm guessing that's why you mentioned the jitters.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you need to completely avoid caffeine? I find one cup of coffee with a little milk in it will reduce my appetite for a couple of hours.

If you are not really hungry, just in one of those moods where you are craving something, self-soothing, or bored, I find a cup of hot tea, chewing gum, or a small square of dark chocolate can tide me over.

If you are having a lot of issues with hunger, make sure you are not over-restricting and eating too low cal. Good luck!
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use anything like that unless you medically need it.

This year I got hit by the flu and my appetite was completely gone for about three days, and barely present for four days after that. Honestly, it is awful. You know you need to eat, you feel light-headed and loopy from not eating, but everything just seems unpalatable and disgusting. That's how it was for me, anyway.

If you are changing your eating habits, your body will adjust with time. I used to eat two donuts every morning. My body was going "HEY, WHERE ARE MY DONUUUUTS" when I initially stopped. With time, the craving stopped. Now I barely eat anything in the morning, as I prefer to save my calories for a big meal in the evening. My body is used to it and I don't really get hungry in the morning anymore.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Water works for me. If I eat something and find myself hungry 20 minutes later, a glass of water will usually take care of the hunger.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is there anything over the counter that works. Just short term, not looking for anything long term. Thought it might help me with getting started.

Most of us are not over weight because we eat when we are hungry. Most of us are over weight because we eat when we are NOT hungry. Appetite suppressants aren't necessary for weight loss because it's behavioral change we need anyway.

Back in the day a cold medicine used to suppress appetite for the first few days of use......whallah!.......Accutrim & Dexatrim were born. Now Dexatrim is a supposed "fat burner".....don't get me started. Anyway the cold medicine was Contac......but that ingredient is now banned (due to increased stroke risk for women).

Protein, Fiber & fat are filling. Different combinations for everyone. Don't cut your calories too low. Exercise to earn more calories. Tweak your food choices & plan meals and snacks at appropriate times. You don't need to be hungry (most of the time) to lose weight. Not if it's done right.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Count me as another vote for protein.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I get the desire to want a jump start. I myself bought some cute exercise leggings and a matching hoodie at Lane Bryant. I also bought a book.

However, nothing OTC will be of more use than the non-OTC suggestions on this thread.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine and caffeine works a dream.
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found tea bags from traditional medicinals and its called weightless. Its dandelion, cranberry and other natural herbs and used to alleviate water retention temporarily.

it tastes lovely, no caffeine and no over the counter diet pills that could be harmful to your body.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For some reason a big dose of cooked egg whites in the morning always worked for me.