How does this menu sound for the week?

Options
kmcgrath1
kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
I try to plan out a menu to help not only with what I'm eating but it also helps with the budget on what I need to shop for. Who else plans a menu? It's truly hard to make things that are healthy yet appealing to my hubby.

Friday - Whole Wheat penne pasta w/light alfredo sauce & sundried tomatoes (weight watchers) plus vinagrette salad (297 cal)
Saturday - Papaya BBQ grilled chicken w/whole wheat couscous and roasted garlic broccoli (280 cal)
Sunday - Apricot Glazed Beef Tenderloin w/garlicky smashed potatoes (cooking light) 408 cal
Monday - Italian sausage calzones w/salad (cooking light) 292 cal
Tuesday - Chicken Mole Enchiladas w/santa fe brown rice (cooking light) 301 cal
Wednesday - Leftovers (hubby works late)
Thursday - Pizza burgers (biggest loser cookbook) w/two potato fries (cooking light) 110 cal for fries

Of course this is what I plan to make...god knows it never works out that way! LOL :wink:

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me! Maybe throw in some more veggies though...
    We plan our menu on Saturdays for the week. I really struggle to find things that my hubby will eat (he's ridiculously picky!) the boys will eat and that's healthy for all of us. I've tried switching to whole wheat pasta & my husband acted like I'd fed him cyanide. He used to insist on red meat every other day but I've finally got him to agree to 2ish days a week.
  • mam302
    mam302 Posts: 4
    Options
    My cousin just recently told me about a website called e-mealz.com which actually plans a week of meals for you. You just choose a plan (considering the number of people you're feeding and any dietary restrictions like gluten free or low fat) and it gives you a list of seven dinners for the week. Then it breaks down the menu into a grocery list sorted by section of the store (you can even choose to get a walmart specific list if that's where you shop most often). It even tries to choose the meals based on what is on sale in the grocery stores that week to try and help save money.

I have yet to try it, but my cousin who is a working mother of four children under the age of five says that it has helped her tremendously, and so far they have only had one or two meals they haven't really cared for and she's been using it for about a year.

As a poor, starving college student cooking mainly for myself with a busy schedule I'm really looking forward to trying this starting this fall semester. Especially considering I gained almost 15 lbs from a combination of stress and eating out this past school year. :/
  • kmcgrath1
    Options
    I'll have to check that out, thanks!
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just subscribed to emealz and I like it. I don't use it as a complete menu for a week but rather as ideas to add new stuff. I keep all the weeks in a file and mark things that I've tried and liked.

OP could you post the pizza burger recipe you plan on using?
  • bhawkins0617
    bhawkins0617 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love making menus! When I have a rough week and have to go to the grocery store without a meal plan I feel lost. My menu has changed alot since we have been eating healthier as a family. It definitely helps me to stay on track for the week. I just look at what I'm making the next night and do some of the prep work ahead of time.

Your menu sounds yummy. Keep it up!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That sounds great - lots of variety and some very tasty sounding dishes!

I have a spreadsheet (hush!) of my basic week, with 7 different breakfasts, snack, lunches and dinners. It's not a rigid structure, but it's a useful thing to turn to when I'm out of ideas. And as you say, really useful for budgetting and shopping.

I also try out one new food each week (this wek it's tofu - it's all right, but I dont think my other half would eat it!)
  • tlgwilliams8
    Options
    Hey there, I agree to throw in some more veggies.......btw, could I have the pizza burger recipe?
  • kmcgrath1
    Options
    Sure, I don't have the Pizza Burger recipe with me right now but I'll post it later tonight! It's YUMMY!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Sounds really good. I will be over shortly. :blushing:
  • kmcgrath1
    Options
    I posted the Pizza Burger recipe on the Recipe Board...enjoy!