Knee injury cardio?

Options
Anyone know of any cardio that I can do with a hurt knee? I've thought about swimming, but its still too cold...

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any cardio that I can do with a hurt knee? I've thought about swimming, but its still too cold...
  • christahollis
    Options
    Battling a new knee injury myself...I know what boat you're in.
    Depending on the injury, you may want to try something like a stationary or recombinant bike. They're no impact, and you can still work hard.
    But, obviously, if that hurts, causes additional swelling, or instability in the knee...don't do it.
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ok, this sounds crazy but it really gets your heart rate up! Squat down as much as your knee can take and your legs stay put! Do punches! Jillian Michaels has this on her 30 day shred and I was so suprised when my heartrate shot up!
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    For me, with stitches above my knee...I'm going to focus on the following:

Sit ups
    Push ups
    Kettlebell / Dumbell upper body work
    I can probably get away with flutter kicks (lying down on my back)

I like the punches idea a lot :happy:
  • repoman
    repoman Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm not sure how badly your knee is injured.

I have bad knees and a bad disc or two in my lower back. The only cardio machine that works for me is the elliptical. Even then, I have to watch the resistance or my knees start complaining for days at a time.

Cheers,
  • Shaine
    Shaine Posts: 32
    Options
    First and foremost, if you have been seeing a physician regarding your injury, please consult with them as to exercise you can do with your knee.

You don't want to cause more damage by doing the wrong thing.
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    First and foremost, if you have been seeing a physician regarding your injury, please consult with them as to exercise you can do with your knee.

You don't want to cause more damage by doing the wrong thing.

Very true, each exercise will affect you differently. and you should always be very careful with injuries. Low impact cardio can be good for instability and joint issues such as was mentioned- the elliptical and bicycle. I would stay away from the stair master though, these are know for being hard on the knees, though i'm not sure why and they also really hurt my knee. If you do do squats be sure that you donn't bend knee past the front of you foot-this puts too much strain on the joint and not on the quad and glutes. Also, my orthopedic recommends using a treatdmill setting it on a very steep incline and walking briskly, this should raise your rate quickly and is very knee friendly. Another way to play is to do what doesn't hurt or make it worse and stay away from that which does; listening to your body is the best thing you can do.Good luck to you and be careful!
  • weezie79
    Options
    I have a newly acquired and diagnosed iliotibial band syndrome. Not strictly a "knee injury" but certainly feels like it when walking fast/incline or running. It's agony. :cry:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm

I've found the elliptical absolutely painless for this.
    It really depends on what your injury is, but generally "no-impact" movements are best (stationary bike, elliptical).
    If you havent already, then as a poster above said - go see a professional and get a diagnosis.