Did you do workouts in addition to C25K?

Options
This morning I've been sitting in front of my planner trying to figure out what I'm going to do for workouts and when. I have a wrist surgery scheduled the 28th so I'm pretty much planning on just walking for a little while - something to keep myself moving without the risk of injuring it further.

I've decided to start doing C25K in August. I've started it before, and gotten pretty far, but haven't actually finished it. My thing is that it's only three days a week. I know, I know, my body needs to rest and I shouldn't burn myself out. But, just play along with me here. If I did want to add another type of workout onto some of the off days, what would you recommend? My first thought was swimming, but I'd like to know if anybody else had a combination that they really enjoyed.

After I finish C25K I am giving Insanity another go!! I love Insanity but had to stop it because of my wrist. And hopefully with the conditioning I'll have from running I will have more endurance during the workouts!

Replies

• DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i wanna know bump :)
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm interested as well. Right now I'm doing C25K and I need the rest days haha. But sometimes I feel like I should be doing something. I am pressed for time as well. Right now I do C25K and strength training on the same days 3X a week.
  • AlisonMacKay
    AlisonMacKay Posts: 112
    Options
    I didn't mix when I didn't C25K but I think swimming would be a wonderful mix because it is a low impact workout.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I did 30 Day Shred in addition to c25k.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I do strength training on my off days and maybe a little cycling but stay away from running.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the C25K and wasn't able to finish it out of Week 1 after two attempts. I'm getting ready to give it another go starting next month as I can now do a slow jog up to a mile.

When I was doing the C25K, I would do that one day, and then use my Wii Biggest Loser game for the Yoga aspect of it. So I was still moving (and sweating) but it wasn't hard core and I felt like I was getting a rest.
  • WinnieX
    WinnieX Posts: 67
    Options
    Yep, I usually do it after spin or on my spin class days off I'll do my run then go on the elliptical for 20 minutes & maybe try and squeeze a Jillian dvd later in the day
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing it right now. I am doing it 6 times a week..so I do day 1 twice day 2 twice..ect. Along withi it ..I am doing the 30DS..its only been 3 days...so not sure...but I was doing the elliptical before with 30DS...and was getting results.

Hope that helps...
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I did my own version of c25k as well as strength, circuit, simming, biking, squash and some. Didn't do me any harm.

Trying to build the 5km up now whilst doing 30ds and 6w6p and the other stuff.

I sleep well...
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    I think I must be a crazy person but I do C25k, plus Insanity, plus a dance workout each week and I also go walking whenever I can get the chance
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm going JM's 6 Week Six-Pack with C25K. 6W6P I do two days, rest day, two days, rest day, and C25K I do every other day. Some days they overlap and it's killer, but in a good way.
  • wbruni14
    wbruni14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of the C25K program and on Day 11 of the 30 day shred. I find them easy to do together because they are both short workouts.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I usually lift before I do my runs. My off days I usually don't do anything but occasionally I'll lift again or maybe hop on the elliptical. I do think that combining weights and running is a good thing though.
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    I do 30DS 7 days a week in the mornings and then C25K every other night. I'm almost done with 30DS so I'll be doing ripped in 30 next.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Once your wrist feels better I would do strength training on your "off" days. I think swimming would be a great workout in the mean time, and low impact. Walking between C25K days is fine if you don't overdo it. Fiancé and I went on a 5 mile walk one time on an "off" day and I couldn't run the next day. Once your fitness level is where you want it to be, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • artificialdream
    artificialdream Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some yoga and/or pilates. :)
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I do 20-30 min circuit weight training before I do my C25K run three times a week and 2-3 times a week I go to vinyasa yoga class.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k. I'm at the gym 5 days per week ... and one day I mow the lawn (takes 2-3 hours).

So, in addition to mowing, I use the elliptical most days for 45 minutes or so. I weight train 3 days each week. I swim a little -- laps are not my thing. And, I am starting to use the bike. For example, yesterday I did 50 minutes on the elliptical and then d2w1 of c25k (no weights, was tired from heavy workout yesterday).

So, since I am new to running, I'm not sure how this will shake out, but I do plan on mixing it up and doing more than just c25k on days that I do c25k.

Cheers,

Sean
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K three days a week and I also go to a bootcamp 3 days a week where I get my strength training and some more cardio. I finish the camp soon and will start doing Insanity and strength training along with the rest of the C25K program. I'm on week 4 now.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    Heck ya!