Stiff Ankles - Runner

Options
Hi everyone! I'm training for a marathon & triathlon - have been a runner for over a decade now. The past couple weeks I've had a stiff ankle - thought it was my Achille's that was tight, but it's turned into general ankle stiffness (and Achille's stiffness). Wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem and any insight in loosening it up? I've been stretching and self massage, the self massage has helped it but looking for more suggestions, just looking to get this ankle back to normal asap!

Replies

• Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Is there any pain or swelling? I suffer from arthritis and my ankle swells and stiffens, I tend to find lots of self massage, flexions and Ibuprofen works. Probably not the best way to look after myslef but..................
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What types of stretching are you doing? I had some issues with that years ago and went to physical therapy for it. The stretch that helped the most was to do a typical calf stretch (heal off of a step or something similar). Normally your knee would be straight, but instead, bend the knee. Make sure your booty is tucked under too. You'll feel more of a stretch toward the bottoms of your leg and front of your calf. It really helped me loosen up! Give it a try, if you're not already:)
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No swelling! So I think it must just be muscle tightness.

Thanks for the stretching suggestion, I've been just doing the calf stretch with straight leg, and also out to the back left and to the right. I will try bending the knee. I'm doing my long run tomorrow so I want to loosen it up as much as I can today. I'm going to try a heating pad and more massage as well tonight.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Something else you could consider is running with compression socks, or wearing compression socks after your run to recover. They help circulation in your lower legs which leads to a faster recovery and less soreness. I just ordered my first pair yesterday. I haven't actually used them yet, but from what I read they are worth a try.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--13591-0,00.html
  • katiekido
    Options
    Something else you could consider is running with compression socks, or wearing compression socks after your run to recover. They help circulation in your lower legs which leads to a faster recovery and less soreness. I just ordered my first pair yesterday. I haven't actually used them yet, but from what I read they are worth a try.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--13591-0,00.html

Ohh I've seen this article before! Great idea, where did you order yours from? They are definitely worth a try.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Ohh I've seen this article before! Great idea, where did you order yours from? They are definitely worth a try.

I ordered these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002837F32

Mostly because they were close to the cheapest and they seem to be a pretty recognized brand.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Of course, if I were a chick I'd probably go with something more flashy, and I'd probably pick up the matching arm warmers. :)
  • katiekido
    Options
    There are certainly some flashy ones! I want some hot pink ones! The CW-X Compression Support Socks look like a good price and exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad they only come in black and grey :( I think I might give them a shot, I've thought about ordering some in the past.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Let me know what you think of them. I'm curious to hear what a more experienced runner thinks. I'm just hoping they'll help with the sore right calf I usually end up with.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    if you have changed your shoes lately, that can also add to extra soreness. if you run with good posture it could be only you ankle taking the shift. Especially, with the light shoes coming out. You have to make sure you stretch your foot and toes too. the type of running that is done in these shoes pushes you up onto your toes.

The strike of you foot is on the ball and the push off is your lesser front foot. This constant sway can hurt your ankles if you do not stretch enough.
  • katiekido
    Options
    I will definitely let you know! Yeah, I tend to get sore in the calf too, so hopefully these help. My local running store carries Saucony & Baluga Compression socks, so I'm going to pick up a pair after work, try them out tonight and see how my 11 mile run goes tomorrow.
  • katiekido
    Options
    Let me know what you think of them. I'm curious to hear what a more experienced runner thinks. I'm just hoping they'll help with the sore right calf I usually end up with.

So I just picked up the compression socks today, they are the Saucony compression socks (the only brand my local store carries) but they feel fantastic. Provide just a little bit of compression to take away some achiness! They provide some support too, so far I love them!
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Are you planning on running in them, or just using them for recovery afterward?
  • katiekido
    Options

My initial reason for buying them was for recovery, but I might try them out on my shorter runs right now and see how they feel. Don't think I'd test them on a long run just yet.
  • ukhennin
    Options

My initial reason for buying them was for recovery, but I might try them out on my shorter runs right now and see how they feel. Don't think I'd test them on a long run just yet.

I'll probably end up doing the same, just out of curiosity. That is if I ever get them. Amazon shipping is slow. They should be here on Friday!