Accidentally married...

Options
MarshallLuke
MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
I didn't start out my day planning to get married yesterday, it just sort of happened.

Here's the story: My fiance and I are planning a big wedding for September. It will be outdoors on the beach behind our house. There will be Indian food to eat, good music to dance to, cakes that look like tree stumps (we are outdoorsy people) and about 120 guests. Our officiant, however, is not actually a JP or anything. She is just a dear friend who we wanted to preside over our wedding. So we went to ask the mayor (known locally as Mayor Bob) of a town my fiance covers (she is a reporter) if he would marry us legally and he agreed. We asked him how soon we could get married (we were kind of thinking it would be in a couple weeks or so) and he said to come back in an hour.
So we rushed home, threw on some nice clothes (for me that included my nice pair of Converse.... oh yeah, I got married in Converse!) and went back to town hall. We walked out behind the town hall to a nice shady spot under a tree to get married. The ceremony was just Mayor Bob, my fiance and I, the town secretary (who took pictures for us) and about 20 middle school kids who were in summer camp and watching from a distance.
I don't really remember what was said, there was a poem about a boy and a girl and the stars, I was just lost in my fiances eyes the whole time, doing my best not to cry. We exchanged rings, said our "I dos" and kissed. Afterward Mayor Bob told us that that was the longest kiss he had ever seen after a ceremony, but we were getting married, so we wanted it to count.
After the ceremony was over and all the papers signed, my fiance... err, wife.... went off to work and I ran out to do shopping for our upcoming wedding.
In all honesty, we don't really feel married now. We are still pulling together the big wedding in September, for which we are doing everything ourselves. We have written our own ceremony and vows, made the table centerpieces, I dug a garden by hand and planted all the flowers that will be her bouquet, and the million other things that bring us a step closer to that big day. It just so happens that this step held certain legal ramifications. We wore our wedding bands all day, but now they are back in the box and will remain there until our real wedding.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What a lovely story, thanks for sharing. And huge congratulations to you both, you sounds so in love! :flowerforyou:
  • shpoo
    shpoo Posts: 20
    Options
    Well if you need an anullment I hear Britney Spears knows someone...
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And now you'll always have 2 anniversaries to celebrate, how fun!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both of you. Very good story to tell the grandkids.
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    That's an AWESOME story to start my morning! Congratulations!
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing. Best of luck!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Very nice. Not every guy get the choice of 2 anniversaries. At least if you forget one you can catch the next one or make it a double for the next year. LOL
  • soguesswhat
    soguesswhat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    that's a wonderful story. Best wishes for you both! And don't worry, "feeling married" sorta happens by accident too. It doesn't happen overnight by any means. I hope your wedding is as wonderful as the story and effort leading up to it!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is what several of my friends have done. (mostly military families) They got married so they would be legally married, then threw a big ceremony later. It's worked out for all of them thus far! Congratulations!
  • saydee3
    saydee3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's so sweet! Congrats and best wishes.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    That's beautiful. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. :flowerforyou:
  • jennerationx
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing! And good luck with your wedding plans....
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you both!

My sister did something similar, although it was a little more planned, but she and her husband count the day of the ceremony and party with friends and family as their anniversary, even though they legally were married 3 weeks before that.
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Shpoo! Really! Lol Marshall, that is a wonderfully sweeeet story. My anniversary is in September, it's a great month to get married! Congrats! I wish you a long happy marriage! Working on 18 yrs here. :)

Edited to add July is a good month to get married too! ;)
  • rhinobutt
    rhinobutt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's a great story. And... i got married in no shoes so beat that:)
    The best part is now you two can thoroughly enjoy your wedding; no wondering if the other will have a change of heart.
    Congrats!
  • leslyta
    leslyta Posts: 70
    Options
    this is such a lovely story!! AWWWW!!! My favorites were that you were lost in her eyes, and that you planted the flowers for her bouquet.. OMG I wish my ex husband would've done, or maybe my next husband will!! It sounds like you two love each other and I wish you both the very best!!!
  • h64em
    h64em Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thats so nice!! It sounds like the "real" wedding will be something very personal and special to you both. I think simple weddings are the best. (I keep telling my three children that!!)
    Congratulations :))
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! almost made me wanna cry........what a great story. The best of luck to you and your wife........she is lucky to have you.

May God forever bless you an your wife as you go about your new lives together as man an wife.

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!!!!!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    That's a great story! Congrats. Might be doing something similar this fall. Lol.