Whole 30

Options
Has anyone tried Whole 30? What's your opinion on it?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It was too hard and too many rules.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I have looked into it but it's too restrictive for me. I think it depends on why you are doing it. For weight loss, no. To see if you have food intolerances and experiment, maybe. I know a few people who tried it and were happy because they felt better after finding out which foods made them feel crappy, and some who tried didn't stick with it because it was not for them. It's all up to what you are looking for in food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to do paleo (I stopped because I thought I ate more healthfully without those restrictions and could keep doing the things I liked, which were mostly things I did or would have done anyway), and even then when I looked into Whole30 (since I like challenges) some of the rules just seemed so unnecessary and counterproductive that I didn't have an interest. I read the book and thought the reasons for some of the things (like cutting out potatoes) seemed quite silly (I think the current version of W30 allows potatoes). My interest in paleo basically ended for the same reasons: I think legumes and whole grains add to the healthfulness of my diet, I'm not going to overeat either, personally, and I know I have no negative response to dairy, so I saw no good reason to cut any of those out.

I do consume less dairy than I used to, but that's more because I like to eat more plant-based (not 100%, but more than I used to), and by cutting out non animal protein sources to the extent it does W30 and paleo were contrary to my goals there too.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've done whole 30 a few times. I think it's great. It's not meant to be a long term eating plan bit rather an elimination type diet that lets you identify foods you may have sensitivities to. I learned so much on it. It's especially powerful in helping people identify their food or bad eating triggers. I highly suggest the program for anyone who has emotional ties to food (which let's face it is most people). It's not easy and you have to cook pretty much everything, but you feel great, sleep amazing, have lots of energy and learn a tonne. Im a big fan. If you decide to do it, download the timeline calendAr ao you know what reactions /symptoms to expect when. It's super helpful.
  • codylee98
    codylee98 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now and am on day 6. It eliminates A LOT of foods and food groups, but after 30 days you start to reintroduce foods to see if they cause any negative reactions such as bloating, food cravings, headaches, stomach upset, rash, etc. I was looking for such a thing because not only do I want/need to lose weight, but I want to quit feeling exhausted and generally like crap all the time. It requires a strong commitment of 30 days and I think you should be prepared to change the way you eat for the long haul. But then, anyone who wants to lose weight at some point has to accept that you can't continue to eat the same way you did gaining the weight. Thank you jeleigh for your comments, especially about the timeline calendar. I'm trying to change my relationship with food and eating and I think this plan is in line with my personal philosophies.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's a good start for people who don't know how to eat healthy. It's not a weight loss diet, but the weight loss is one of the perks. Most people who loved whole30 convert into Paleo or Primal.
    It's an introduction to a healthy whole food eating life style.
  • kateshodges
    kateshodges Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did my first whole30 to find the food triggers for my ezcema. I know it sounds cliche, but it was life changing. I felt so much better. I slept better, had more energy and lost a few pounds as a side effect. It is hard and restrictive but only for 30 days. The most eye opening thing for me was realizing how much easier it was to control my cravings when I felt better. Knowing which foods made me feel good or bad made food decisions much easier. While I do agree with CICO, I also think that feeling good due to eating well helps maintain any food guidelines you set up for yourself.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's an elimination diet, so unless you suspect you have some type of food allergy or certain diseases, it may be unnecessary.
    Eating a diet primarily of whole foods in general isn't a bad idea but this may be so restrictive it could be difficult, imo. And my thinking is why make losing weight and trying to achieve good health harder than it needs to be?

If you do have Crohn's, IBS, possible dairy intolerance, think you're allergic to nightshades, etc., then it may be worth a try.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    It's a good start for people who don't know how to eat healthy. It's not a weight loss diet, but the weight loss is one of the perks. Most people who loved whole30 convert into Paleo or Primal.
    It's an introduction to a healthy whole food eating life style.

I still don't see what cutting out specific whole foods like legumes or dairy or (at least until recently) potatoes does for learning to have a healthful whole foods eating style. That's why I decided I eat better not doing paleo. The things that I found appealing about it were things I was already doing (focusing on eating the whole animal and sourcing, eating lots of vegetables). The add ons that paleo (or certain versions of paleo) made: cut out legumes, rice and oats and other grains are bad, in any form, limit fruit, worry about carbs, no dairy, never made sense to me.

If one is having health issues an elimination diet may be a good idea, but a medical protocol seems a much smarter approach than W30.

I always suspect that it, or paleo, works for some who COULD just start eating a healthier diet, or more whole foods based, but can't motivate themselves, because it makes them feel like they are special or doing something more exciting (the whole caveman nonsense, or perhaps the idea that doing W30 is some challenge, or that others don't get that beans and grains are making them weak, whatever).
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd day and feel better already. In the past I could eat whatever I wanted without negative effects other than weight gain. As I've gotten older, I've developed adversions to all types of food. Processed, dairy, most whole grains, artificial sweetener and some natural sugars, coffee creamers etc.. I have acid reflux and food induced allergy attacks and have had a low grade headache every day for weeks. I've been tested for everything and the only thing that seems to help the symptoms is an organic, unprocessed, no dairy, limited grains diet. My headaches stopped on day two, I feel lighter even though I'm eating more fat than ever. I used to be a cheese addict, no more, it was easier to give up than learning to drink my coffee black. I'm logging and keeping to the suggested calorie count and it's been easy so far. I travel 2 to 3 days per week for work and I think this diet will be easier to adhere to on the road than any other. I just turned 50, so I'm hyper aware of my health now and would like to be as healthy as possible.

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm not hungry at all and the recipes are absolutely delicious.