Need bridesmaid dress taken in ah..

Options
I'm in a wedding come June and I still have to get my bridesmaid dress taken in. When ordered I wasn't trying to lose weight but even when it arrived it came a little too big around the top. Now that I'm losing weight I'm worried the seamstress won't be able to get it taken in enough?

I would have ordered a size smaller or two before but I know how some places won't allow that and very much frown upon it incase the person doesn't lose the weight in time.

Can anyone relate to this? I'm not sure how many sizes it can be brought in. I'm on the look out for a Seamstress right now and to make an appointment soon.

Don't want to stop trying to lose weight and give up just because of the dress :(

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Depending where it is from could you return it for a smaller size???
  • LoMonroe87
    LoMonroe87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't return it for a smaller size unfortunately, that would have been great though.
  • Acrosno
    Acrosno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This happened to me ... my dress was HUGE on me on my friend's big day. Our solution: we marked the dress with eyeliner and borrowed a staple gun from their facilities crew. It looked funny close up but who cares? Everyone is looking at the bride anyway and the dress looked fine in the pics.

You can also be more organized than me and try the dress on a month before the wedding and pay to have it altered yourself ... they can almost always take in dresses even if it's down a full size.

Grats on the loss! You're gonna look great!
  • LoMonroe87
    Options
    I've thought about that haha if I could only get it taken in a bit but still big on me on the day, what to use to bring it in. Did you find the staples helped the dress stay up? ( mine is strapless)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight between ordering my bridesmaid dress last year and the wedding. I brought it to a seamstress shop and she was able to take it in. Probably depends on the dress. It was spendy for me but cheaper than buying a new dress.
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can you leave it until closer to the wedding to take it in, in case you lose more weight? Maybe when you meet with the seamstress you can ask about this? I know when I was a bridesmaid the final fitting was two weeks before the wedding, and it had to be taken in quite a lot, but they were fine about it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a good seamstress should be able to fix it for you - I've had to have dresses adjusted many times - even for simple things like, measurements online not lining up with how it fit when received
  • LoMonroe87
    Options
    Can you leave it until closer to the wedding to take it in, in case you lose more weight? Maybe when you meet with the seamstress you can ask about this? I know when I was a bridesmaid the final fitting was two weeks before the wedding, and it had to be taken in quite a lot, but they were fine about it.

It's hard because I'm in another province and planning on flying out there hopefully a week or so before the wedding. I'm from a small town as well and not many seamstresses here but I'm willing to pay whatever to have it done as long as it will be ready for when I leave.